Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneestauffer

Moongold apricot died - worth replacing?

reneestauffer
9 years ago

Three years ago I planted a moongold and a sungold apricot. This Spring they both looked fine, but all of a sudden the moongold conked out. I think, after doing some online investigating, there was injury to the cambium. Now the entire top of the tree is dead, but there are some suckers around the bottom of the tree, which I am not sure are above or below the graft.

I did not realize when I planted these that they only live about 15 years anyway. Neither has shown any sign of fruiting yet, and they depend on each other for pollination. Apricots are also apparently the most delicate of the fruit trees, so even though they are supposed to be ok in my zone, I think it's kind of iffy, as evidenced by this moongold death.

So, do I replant another moongold? Train one of the suckers into the new leader? Scrap the whole idea and cut the sungold down and replant something more hardy for my northern climate? Seems a shame to cut down the sungold, but by the time a new moongold gets big enough to pollinate the sungold, it's not going to have that many years of fruiting left if they truly only live 15 years.

Advice?

Thanks,
Renee

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio