Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jaboticaba Seeds

Posted by Lurcher none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 8:08

This may not be strictly the right place to ask, but they are fruit trees, so,

I am trying to get hold of a small number of Jaboticaba, myrciaria cauliflora, seeds, but so far without any luck.

I'm told they are popular with growers of Bonsai, and are suitable for tubs in the greenhouse.

Can anyone help me out, Please ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jaboticaba Seeds

I did a quick search of the trades available from GardenWeb members and I found two that have the plant:

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/eyeckr/

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/gardenjewel/

o

Thanks, tried to click on those, but they don't work as links. How do I get to see them ?

o

Copy and paste them into your browser or do a search yourself:

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Member Exchange Pages

o

O.K., thanks. I figured it out, after I had posted my last. I'm new to this forum thing, so still finding my way around.
Thank you for doing a search for me, much appreciated.

o

You're welcome, and good luck. It sure looks interesting!

o

Jabitocaba can take a very very long time to fruit from seed making this one species best bought as an established plant. I have a 6 x 5 foot bush growing well in a large pot for the past 5 years but still no blossoms.

o

That is interesting, Creekweb, I am told they take 10 years to fruit. That is not a problem. As i want to grow a Bonsai, a 6 foot tall plant would not do.
We never see the fruit for sale here in the UK, so I cannot try saving seed, and I doubt if it would ever produce fruit over here, even in a greenhouse.
I just wanted to grow one for the novelty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here