Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting to young (small) rootstock?

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 8:15

Help please!

I have a couple of Marianna rootstocks that I would like to graft to and I don't know if they are mature enough. I'd be budding or chipping to a piece about 3/16" in diameter if that. It's this year's growth and I'm not sure if it's hard enough, and I know the bark will be very thin.

Tips and advice welcome.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting to young (small) rootstock?

Just be very careful :) i've budded some really skinny wood before and its very easy to cut right through with a sharp knife...a lot of time when you tape the bud (wrap it)..you'll snap the whole thing.... i had that happen a lot int he past...one reason that thicker wood is a lot more forgiving...but...its still doable. You still have a few weeks here to do it...so you could wait for that wood to thicken up a little. I haven't done any budding yet, but plan on it any day here.

o

Thanks Frank. I think I'll wait about three weeks and give it a go. I can see how you might easily snap the little beasties. Sharp knife and a light touch.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 11:19

I've T budded stone fruit on some really small wood. No problem with snapping anything. The best tip is the wood has to be taken out of the bud. If not the sharp radius of the rootstock stem won't allow the bud to fit under the bark flaps. To get the wood out the bark has to be slipping really well on scion. And the root needs very good slip also.

It's also necessary on a small root that the diameter of scion wood be no bigger than that of the root. Even with wood out the scion bud can get too bulky to fit under bark flaps if it's too big diameter.

Get the smaller budding rubbers. They are easier to tie without breaking anything. It really only takes a couple wraps above and a couple below. I wrap up really well but less will work.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 12:19

o

I was just grafting to some small shoots this morning, one variety is failing and I am moving it to shoots coming out of a neighboring tree I topped this spring to remove the variety. As long as the budwood is small its easy to graft to small shoots.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here