Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting elderberry cuttings.

Posted by semaje (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 8:34

Ok so I recently got some 'John's' rooted elderberry cuttings from a trade. Came in pretty good shape and in great quantity.
And I'm pretty sure they are hard wood cuttings. Anyways heres what they look like:

The cuttings are about 7in tall, and theyre all growing like that on the bottom.

This is the first time I've ever done anything with rooting cuttings (besides mint, but that a piece of cake) and am a bit confused with whats grown out of this cutting so far.

Does anyone see the long white growth going up? Is that a root? or the new plant growth? Cause I just kinda figured it would branch out on the top of the cutting. But it kinda looks a bud broke on the cutting and that but is growing both roots downward as well as the new green growth upwards.

Help me out with this? Thanks.

Heres what I did with the cuttings: Is this right?

There in a sand peat mix I think? Anyways, it drains good.

Also, this is unrelated to anything above. I have a wild elderberry growing around my home. And am trying to root softwood cuttings in water as someone told me its possible. Heres what they look like so far:

All that new growth coming out of the nodes is new obviously. But I havent seen any roots coming out of the bottom node area which is submerged in water. Will I soon? or ever?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting elderberry cuttings.

The white "growth" coming from the bottom are roots. These look a lot like water roots, which are very fragile.

o

When placing a cutting started in water into soil, you must be extremely gentle, so that you don't break the roots.

Your cuttings are alive, and the water roots are small, so they should move to soil OK. Keep the tops misted and the soil damp, but not soggy, and cross your fingers.

It helps if you can put some sort of cover over the cuttings to hold the moist air around the tops. Then you have to take that top off every day and let the cuttings air out. If you see any sign of mold or mildew, spray with a gentle fungicide immediately and increase the amount of time each day with the cover off.

You will probably get leaves long before there is a root system, so just keep tending to the cuttings and be patient.

o

oregon wood smoke..

are you talking about the cuttings in water? Cause they dont have any roots I dont think.

o

No, I was talking about your rooted cuttings. I agree with xentar that those look like water roots.

The cuttings that you are trying to start in water might be better off started in soil. The water roots don't transplant easily.

You have to persist with cuttings. Often they get leaves before roots. I have also had them loose all their leaves and look like they died, only to have them start a new batch of leaves once they root. I don't give up on them until they are crispy critters.

I just had a willow, which has been a leafless green stick for 6 months, decide to produce some leaves. Because it didn't snap in half like a toothpick when touched, I just kept watering it and taking care of it.

If you want to start those wild cuttings in water, move them into soil the second you see roots appear.

Good luck with it.

o

alright thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here