Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Banana ripe/seed

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 7B St Clair Co (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 8:38

I'm going to list my questions about Winter Banana and then explain.
-Is the apple seed color an indicator of fruit ripeness?
-When should it ripen in Central Alabama 7b?
-Is it possible that my Stark Bro WB tree is actually a Summer Banana?
Does it turn bright yellow when it is ripe?

The few clusters of apples on the tree were crowding each other so I picked one and wiped it off to taste it. I was expecting a tart green apple taste but to my surprise it was pretty sweet and I consumed it. Most sources indicate that this is a late season apple. Any and all answers are welcome. Even critical ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Banana ripe/seed

Greetings:

The one time I had winter banana in SE WI it was ripe in
early October. I am not familiar with when apples ripen in Alabama. I do check the skin color and seed color of my apples before picking all of them. A red apple is not always fully ripe. Seed color seems to be a good indicator
if the apple is near the ripe stage.

The taste test is my best method to know when to harvest.
I want them firm but not chalky tasting.

What is the flavor like on your fruit? Just curious as the ones I had were just ok to eat fresh. Nothing spectacular. However, I thought they really were excellent as a cooked product. The cobblers I made from them were really nice in
flavor.

o

Couple of years ago, I went to pick Winter Banana apples at a Pick Your Own apple farm in zone 5 MA.

It was in early Oct. The apples were not quite ripe but I wanted to try them so I picked them anyway. It did not taste that good. They were a pretty, large, yellow/light red apple as I recalled.

That's zone 5 in early Oct. I'd say for us, it's a definitely a late apple.

o

For many varieties seed color is an indicator of ripeness. Black, brown or in some cases a striped appearance. It is dependent upon cultivar. I have no idea what it is in WB but from your photo it appears brown.

Winter banana as might be expected winter apple and yellow (though light exposed areas blush pink).

If you live in a warm enough area--you don't--sometimes a cultivar will produce a second crop. So I too am surprised you have a crop in July to question whether it is truly WB.

I applaud you for trying fruit before it is "ripe." From time to time I have done this when I had reason and occasionally was pleasantly surprised. This potentially increases your harvest season on a loaded tree, and if the flavor is there making a desert with the fruit (because you add sugar and it is firm) can really pay off.

o

Thanks everyone for the reply's. The sweet/sour taste is my preference so I may not be the best judge of what most people would like. With that said the WB apple was pretty good considering that it was my only option. I have picked green apples as a kid and ate those and this fruit still had a little of that taste but was starting to get sweeter. Thanks, Bill

o

Update. This Winter Banana apple was picked today. It is about 3" wide and the seeds are darker. It has a sweet/tart flavor and taste pretty good.

o

Another picture.

o

I wonder if a seedling grown from a WB apple would produce wood that would serve as an interstem for grafting pear to apple? Would there be enough genetic compatibility expressed or would it be so highly variable as to be unknown?

o

Appleseed70. I'm just guessing that the gene would pass down at least to a few of the seedlings. My apple to pear grafts are in there fourth leaf with some fruit and appear to be doing well. Some of these have Winter Banana interstems and other have another variety of apple interstem.

o

Champs;

That's probably Winter Banana. Not sure about your area, but WB is considered a low-chill apple and is grown all over the tropics. If you had a warm early spring it is entirely possible that it blossomed and ripened early, as it does here in So. Calif. If you leave them on the tree too long they get mealy, so you picked it at the right time.

o

Applenut. There is one more on the small tree and I’m going to pick it tomorrow. Although I bought the tree to use it for interstem grafts I like the fruit and intend to grow it into a larger tree for its fruit. Thanks for the help. Bill

o

Update. Picked the last apple from the Winter Banana tree yesterday. The skin color was pale yellow and the seed had all darkened like they were mature. Yes it taste like it was ripe and was delicious. I have never tasted an apple with a similar flavor and I have had many varieties. It was sweet and had a hint of pineapple and strawberry flavor. Of course the excellent taste might just be from having to wait three years from a bare root stick to ripe apples. Store bought apples are good but pale in comparison to the ones you grow at home. Thanks for all your comments and advice. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here