Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandawoodward

Does my bush have poisonous berries

amandawoodward
9 years ago

We have a couple of bushes in our yard that have sprouted what appears to be blueberries. We've lived here 4 years - the 1st 2 summers there were no berries. Last summer and this summer, there are berries. How do I know that these are ok to eat and not poisonous berries? We have a couple of bushes in our yard that have sprouted what appears to be blueberries. We've lived here 4 years - the 1st 2 summers there were no berries. Last summer and this summer, there are berries. How do I know that these are ok to eat and not poisonous berries?

I�m a bit concerned if they are poisonous b/c my toddler has taken an active interest in the bush and looking at the "blueberries". We�ve been trying to pick them and trim the bush (but so far have not eaten any of them).

Comments (9)

• speedster1
    9 years ago

I'm no expert but they certainly look like blueberries to me. Both berry and leaf. I can be pretty stupid sometimes so I'd just take a tiny bite of one and see if it taste like blueberries. If it does then I'd be eating them.. If it doent taste like blueberries spit it back out and take some to your local extension office. They could probably shed some light.

• ericwi
    9 years ago

Those are blueberry shrubs. To be certain, you can watch the shrub, and see how it behaves across an entire year. It will have bell shaped white flowers in the spring, likely in April. The small green berries will gradually get larger, and begin to turn varying shades of red and blue. When the fruit is black/blue all over, it is ripe, and ready to pick. The interior will be creamy color, only the skin is blue. In the fall, the leaves will turn red, and in December, they will fall off the shrub.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

We have native blueberries here called Huckleberry, you may have something similar. They are good to eat. Al

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Always a good idea to teach a toddler that all fruit growing like that is 'bad' , at least until he or she is old enough to be able to recognize blueberries from other things.

In the meantime, wait for the blueberries to ripen and serve them to him in the kitchen, the usual ways. I'm thinking cobbler, shortcake, icecream, pie, over cereal, or just out of the hand.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

I dunno, cuz'n D... I'd rather teach 'em what they can eat, and what they can't, rather than making 'em think everything is bad.
    Don't believe my parents/grandparents ever approached it that way, or me with our own brood. It was more like...'These are good, but wait 'til it's this color', and 'These, you won't like, but you can eat 'em if you have to', or 'These will make you sick'.
    Still, if they're too young to take instruction, you've got to keep a sharp eye on them.

I have been aware of, and could identify lots of fruiting plants and vegetables since I was a toddler; but it appears the OP didn't get that sort of exposure - and I'm certain that she's not alone in that arena..

• amandawoodward
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucky_p, you're right, I have had almost zero exposure to any sort of gardening or identifying plants. Just not what my family is into. Which makes issues like this so frustrating for me b/c I don't even know where to turn. But I will watch the shrub, and as another resource suggested, I'm going to bring a clipping to a gardener close by to see if he can identify it.

I do teach my toddler to stay away from things that can endanger him. However, the berry plants are in our enclosed backyard where my kids are free to roam. There is always an adult present, but we are not on top of him every second, since before we realized this plant was sprouting berries, we didn't need to be. He's only 2, so he's not going to always remember to not touch them. If the plant is poisonous, I will probably remove it.

Aside from my toddler, I'd really like to know if it is poisonous or blueberries. We would be very lucky if they are blueberries, as my family purchases them frequently and they can be expensive.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I'd eat them in a flash. They are blueberries. The leaves, berries, and flower remnant stuck to one berry all say blueberry. No one else looking a clipping will do a better ID than the berry growers here.

I suspect everyone is being overly cautious out of respect for your child's safety.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 18:11

• sandy808
    9 years ago

You would be wise to take a sample with the leaves and berries to your local extension office to verify what you have, and if it is safe to eat.

Do not rely on another gardener's opinion. Get an expert to look at it.

It would be absolute insanity for someone to eat berries from an unidentified plant.

• ericwi
    9 years ago

Not only have I eaten berries taken from plants that were not identified by an expert, but I have also eaten mushrooms gathered in our yard, that I decided were OK after reading a book from our local library. I am 66 years old, but I never said I was sane!