Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible blueberry trouble?

Posted by dirtslinger2 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 8:55

Last October I planted 4 dozen highbush blueberry bushes of 6 varieties. Natural turally moist acidic soil. A bit wet, so planted in hills with a thick layer of pine needle mulch.
all spring they've been a bit yellow/orange which I decided was basic transplanting adjustment. A few weeks back I gave them a little rhodo/azalea food and pinch each of micronutrients and this peaty-clay soil is not rich and figured it wouldn't hurt.
Yesterday was the first day of heat of the season (really) and about 75% (30 or so) ended up with slightly upturned leaves. Were fine in the morning.
They looked drought stressed. Which i have seen previously when still potted. Yet the soil below mulch was moist. plenty of rain lately.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible blueberry trouble?

Waterlogged?

o

upturned leaves can be fungal too. Hard to tell without pictures and a possible county extension test.

o

Check your pH. Blueberries usually respond very well to transplant into the right conditions. Your soil might be acidic, but is it acidic enough? Yellowing in spring is not that unusual, if the pH is right, should be dark green this time of year.

Also, a drought stressed blueberry doesn't react like other plants. My plants at least, when they get drought stressed don't wilt or curl. They suck the moisture from peripheral leaves which turn brown and crispy. I suspect that rather then wilt, they sacrifice leaves to put moisture into berries.

o

Thanks for the responses. Strangely it is the row or Reka (heavy soil tolerant) showing the most symptoms.
Most of all bushes do have deep green leaves, while not as many leaves as I'd like they show growth.
The ground below the raised beds is overly wet however mounds are what I'd think is perfect at this moment.
Looking down on them they seem fine but from side view they definitely show upturned leaves. And not all, so compared to a normal bush there is something clearly going on.
Doesn't seem fungal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here