9 years ago

and...

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I'd have to imagine that's cedar apple rust. I've never had those pustules on the bottom side and not really any I'm sure of. But I'd be confident that it's CAR.

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny... it didn't have that gold spot.

Isn't it kind of late for CAR in Zone 7?.

But, very few leaves have so I am not worried much
    Mike

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

To me the leaf in top two pictures clearly has a spot on both sides in the middle of the red blotch.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

The link below has a pic with the same issue on the leaves. Confirms it is CAR.

Here is a link that might be useful: CAR growths

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Wow Mike, I've never seen anything like that on apple foliage. I have seen something very similiar on Maple leaves before, but without the reddish coloring. If it's on very few leaves Mike, are you going to remove those leaves? I know I would and then lay the fungicide to it.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Good link Rob....so CAR it is. I knew CAR developed those downward facing horns, but the color is unusual (to me anyway). I have CAR on a few of my trees right now also, but it is the common orange/yellow lesions and so far has not developed any horns. I've really kept up with multiple fungicides though.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Just curious Mike, what kind of apple is it?

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appleseed..

It is a red fleshed apple called "niedzwetzkyana".

Mike

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob
    Thanx for the link to the photo

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

It is definitely CAR! It grew like stink on my horizontal growing crabs. Between Immunox and Monterey Fungi Fighter I knocked it out. Took three years. Mrs. G

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

niedzwetzkyana: Looked it up, sweet, extraordinarily dry red fleshed apple. Among the most endangered apple species in the world. First discovered in central Asia. Given name Polish (???) in origin.
    What is your plans for this apple Mike?

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appleseed

It comes from Kyrgyzstan . (See Trees of Antiquity site)

I have it growing at my home in Southern NY. This is its second year in the ground. I will take some scion and graft onto my trees in upstate NY .

I have read different descriptions of the fruit. Some say its a crab apple some say the fruit is large and flavorful. So... until I see how the fruit develops in the two locations my plan is fluid.

This year I left 6 only apples scattered on the tree to see if I can get some to taste. I will have to do some severe heading to keep the tree at under 7 feet.

I guess it was named after the man who discovered it and brought it back to Europe.

See what I found in an old Wisconsin Horticultural Society Article (1899):

"In eastern Turkestan and western China I found a race of small, sweet winter apples, with flesh and skin red throughout. It is promising as the ancestor of a race of red-fleshed apples. A variety of this type of late found its way into Germany from Turkestan under the name of Pyrus Malus Niedzwetzkyana.
    The wood, young leaves and cambium layer also show much red. I met Mr. Niedzwetzky at Vernoe, the capital of the Semiretchinsk province; he found the apple in the mountains between Turkestan and China. The name is a trifle difficult for American tongues."

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Niedzwetzkyana - Trees of Antiquity

This post was edited by mes111 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 8:33

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

The wood, young leaves and cambium layer also show much red.

It may be the red in the leaves causing the odd coloring in the galls.

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You could be right.

It is a very dark burgundy red & the flowers are beautiful too.

Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:52

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County