Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Anyone spotted SWD in zone 5 yet?

CaraRose
9 years ago

I need to get monitoring traps out. No issues with my raspberries so far. My strawberries have been having issues with soft spots and mold, which got me paranoid, but that appears to be more due to all this rain we've had.

Going to start covering my individual berry clusters on the blackberries soon. My neighbors are going to think I'm crazy ;)

Comments (11)

• gnomeabram
    9 years ago

So far only one confirmed sighting in (central) Wisconsin so far, but last update was a week ago: http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/swd/2014/06/30/first-detection-of-swd/

• ericwi
    9 years ago

We just started finding a few ripe raspberries, in our patch, in Madison, Wisconsin. We had SWD infestation last summer, but so far, no sign of SWD. I hope it lasts.

• glib
    9 years ago

This winter was damn cold. One can hope that we get one year off. I do not have rasps anymore, but I was at a friend during the week end and there was no sign (the raspberries were delicious). Then again, no sign of Squash Vine borers either, and it is getting late. I do hope this winter suffering was for something.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been hoping that the winter killed anything overwintering in my soil, but really don't know how cold tolerant the SOBs are.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I have any SWD yet, but I found 3 examples of something which looks a lot like the larva from last year. But, the big difference is that so far (first raspberries were ~3.5 weeks ago), I've only seen them on the outside of the berries, not in the middle making a mess. Here's a pic of one on a Royalty purple raspberry.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Bob - I just started getting a few ripe raspberries this week. Are you down by the shore?

That larva looks a little big for SWD, and more yellow than I remember seeing in my blackberries last year. Let's hope the cold killed the buggers off.

• olpea
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think the cold eradicates SWD. I've read they've had trap catches of SWD already this year in MI, PA, and KY.

PA and KY didn't get that cold, but MI was cold enough to kill lots of peach trees.

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Olpea:

A friend of mine north of Fargo ND told me this past winter
    how bad SWD has been the past few years. If they can
    survive winter in North Dakota, I don't think the cold will wipe them out. He tells me his raspberry jam had a lot of extra protein in it last year.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

They've been spotted in the Urbana area

Here is a link that might be useful: SWD sighting

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

they aren't active above 86 degrees Fahrenheit, so we've got that going for us atm.

• olpea
    9 years ago

I trapped some SWD last week here in zone 6.

This pest is relatively new to KS. Last year was the first year I noticed any damage to SWD.

Probably need to monitor when they start showing up here every year.

There are some "look alike" SWD flies. Oregon has a good identification site for SWD but it takes a microscope to confirm SWD caught in a trap. I used an old "kids" microscope and it worked well enough.

I still haven't figured out a good way to deal with dropped fruit. Right now I'm storing it in a sealed black trash bag and keeping it in the sun, since I don't have much fruit this year.

Last year I threw drops in a barrel and kept the barrel sprayed with insecticide, but that's not a very good option. Neither is burying, too much work to do it every day.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!