Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegiforms? Is there another brand?

Posted by danielmc 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 9:16

I have seen this before but never really looked into it until the other day. Square watermelon using plastic box to mold the shape of the developing fruit... okay cool. Also ran across cucumber molds that make them star shaped or heart shaped once cucumber is slightly smaller than mold you place cucumber in the mold for 10 days and done... again cool and you aren't waiting over a month to see the results and a cucumber is easier to mess up and not get as excited as a watermelon (oppinion) so thought a half dozen mold in a smaller size could make a jar of really neat pickles... The molds from a Japan supplier are 85 dollars for a set of two shapes (crazy). Anyone seen another brand or ever used something similar to do this that wouldn't make a jar of pickles cost a couple hundred dollars?

experience would be very helpful but wild guesses and oppinions might also help me think something up so please add your two cents.

Daniel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegiforms? Is there another brand?

Bought some of the face-shaped vegi-form molds years ago - ran across 'em again, sometime back, while cleaning out some junk - but couldn't put my hands on 'em today, if I needed to.
Don't know whether they're not made anymore, or just not available in the US anymore.
Check eBay - somebody may have 'em for sale much cheaper.

o
RE: vegiforms? Is there another brand?

I don't know how large you would want pickles to be, but if you want them small to medium sized, you could probably use the inexpensive plastic molds sold in craft stores for candy making. You would need to put 2 molds back to back to make a 360, 3-D effect, but some of these are really cheap. Wilton is the most widely sold brand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here