Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon end rot

Posted by rayrose 8SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 9:20

I've got several small football sized Jubilee's that are starting to rot on the ends. What's causing this, and how do I stop it or prevent it. Thanks
Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon end rot

Ray:

Is it rot or is the end opposite the stem shiveling up? If the later it is lack of full pollination. At least that's my thought. This happens to a few of my melons most yrs. If you can help the honeybees that would be good. Or at least don't spray anything that will kill them.

I've heard of blossom end rot. But think that is a tomato problem. Maybe someone else can help.

The Fruitnut

o

The end opposite the stem is turning black and appears to be rotting.

o

I think you have blossom end rot. Below is a link that might be helpful. I've had this problem with my tomatoes and Zucchini.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom end Rot

o

Ray:

I agree with letsski that you have blossom end rot on your melons. I tend to apply large amounts of stable manure to my garden and melon beds, so every spring I spread a couple 40 lg. bags of pelletized lime on the whole works to compensate and keep the Ph from getting too low. The availability of calcium is especially good for crops like tomatoes and melons in my opinion. I never see blossom end rot on either tomatoes or melons.

I also grow these crops on black plastic, which helps retain moisture and smooth out variations in moisture levels due to rainfall. I seldom, if ever, have to water my melons or tomatoes, even in dry spells of two weeks or more. And there are practically no weeds in the areas around the plants.

If you only have a couple of affected melons, just cut them off and chuck them in the compost pile. Unless it starts to affect more than half the melons, the BER problem is not so bad.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

I think it's more a problem of irregular watering. We've been having a severe drought all summer, and I guess I may
have overcompensated with watering. Also, we've all of a sudden had several downpours the last few days. All of the melons were direct seeded into aged horse manure, topsoil, and some 10-10-10, and black plastic, but the plastic made it hard to water, so I removed it. Next year, I'm going to use the water permeable black plastic, and keep it down the whole season, and I'll try some lime over the winter.
I wonder why it's only affected 2 plants out of 26.
Thanks Guys
Ray

o

instead of using permeable plastic, put a soaker hose UNDER the plastic or use drip right at the plant. my father in law uses black plastic and runs his soakers under it. he has some of the biggest and best melons around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here