Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree

Posted by PeterS1938 uk (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 9:27

I have a 3 year old Candy apple tree with 4 main branches but all the foliage is on the top of the branches with nothing at all on the bottom two thirds,how do I correct this,and when?
Apart from this it appears to be very healthy.
Regards Peter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree

It's called "blind wood" and is typically a symptom of inadequate chilling hours, although with your UK location I find that hard to believe. In the tropics they get around this by pulling the branches of the apple tree down almost horizontal like this fellow in Uganda.

o

I have a few obscure apple varieties very prone to producing blind wood. I have found the cure is to prune it way back and also to summer prune to induce more branching. Belle Fleur Rouge in particular is extremely fond of blind wood. This has nothing to do with chill hours since my chill is 2000+.

Scott

o

My Cortland tree has more blind wood than other varieties and I think this has something to do with Cortland being more of a tip-bearer than a standard spur-bearer. I am not familiar with the "Candy" apple variety but there are genetic behavioral factors that could be at play, such as whether the variety is more of a tip-bearer versus spur-bearer. There are extremes on both ends and then there are all different combinations of behaviors in between the opposites, depending on the variety, as well as how the tree is pruned, environmental factors, etc.

o

Good point, I have noticed it to be more common in tip-bearing varieties. My Belle Fleur Rouge is an extreme tip bearing tree.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here