Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I don't think this is a Summit muscadine

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 9:40

In spring of 2013, I ordered several Summit muscadines from Ty Ty Nursery (mistake, I know). Over that summer and this summer, they have developed very vigorously and I have been pleased. This year, I got grapes and have watched them develop throughout the summer. They are ripening now and I am starting to think that these are NOT Summit muscadines.

I'm going to attach a couple of pictures. Can any grape experts confirm my theory? If these are not muscadines, I wonder what they are.

Here are the characteristics from that I've seen so far:

1. Vine is very vigorous in growth.
2. Leaves are in jagged in shape and rather large.
3. I believed it pollinated itsef (my only male muscadine died early this year before flowering)
4. Grape pods contain at least 30 grapes per pod.
5. Grapes are really small, maybe 1/2" in diameter
6. Grapes contain seeds
7. Grape skin is very thin and is edible
8. Color has turned to almost purple
9. Seems to be almost ripe in middle of July
10. Taste as of mid July is rather tart.

I'm at a loss. I will be upset if these are not summit muscadines (or any muscadine variety for that matter). By looking at TyTy's grape offerings, I am starting to think that these are Zinfadel graps. I sure hope not! I am not looking forward to digging these up and starting over. That would set me back a couple of years.

What say the experts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I don't think this is a Summit muscadine

I grow @8 varieties of muscadines. Those are not summit.....they look like bunch grapes. Hope they are a good grape.

o

Well, they certainly aren't muscadines. Coming from tyty, who knows. Probably just concord.

o

I have 13 varieties of muscadines. Those are not muscadines. Too bad you had to find out the hard way. I had to learn that way with Willis. I bought plants that were guaranteed. They were bare root, or no root in my observation. I knew they had no chance, but the guarantee required giving them a year and then sending back the roots. I got the same thing for replacements. At that point it occurred to me that I'd be dead before I ever saw any fruit (or even a live tree.) So I quit fooling with them and wrote it off as a lesson learned.

o

Thanks garymn. Yeah, its ashame what happened. I didn't know how bad of a reputation Ty Ty nusery had until after I had ordered. When I was a kid growing up in south GA, Ty Ty was the "go to place".

As for your 13 varieties, do you have a favorite? I"m looking to replace these unknown vines. I already have Noble and Carlos and two other unknown muscadine varieties that my grandpa propagated and gave to me. Since these were originally supposed to be Summits, I'll probably replace them with a bronze muscadine variety. I may try the Darlene variety from Isons.

o

poolecw, click the link below for lots of muscadine info. Click on the cultivar name for even more info.

Darlene is supposed to be one of the best bronze varieties. For a black muscadine, Black Beauty is supposed to be very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines

o

• Posted by BKG1 8a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:07

I love Darlene and black beauty. They are both females so you will need a pollinator.

o

They are no way Summit Muscadines. Summit when ripe are RED. You got screwed by TY TY as we all have. What you have is a bunch grape.
I have plenty of Summit available.
Hans
www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

o

Summit Bronze muscadine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ripe color Summit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here