Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sakura2006

safe organic spray on peach

sakura2006
15 years ago

My dwarf peach tree has many fruits but every year I end up having miserable fruits because I hate to use toxic chemical spray.

Where can I find organic safe spray for peach?

If it is not too late to spray, I want to try organic spray.

Are Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Wesson Corn Oil effective to fight against fungus on peach?

Comments (6)

• myk1
    15 years ago

I don't know anything about peaches, but you will need to identify the fungus to get the right control at the right time.

I do know about attempting organic fruit growing and have never heard of a baking soda and Wesson oil recipe.
    I did notice that one organic care company has switched from selling a horticultural oil to selling their own mix of Canola.

Sulfur would be the one I would check into to see if it's rated for peaches and the disease you have.

I would trust an oil designed for horticulture before I'd trust kitchen cabinet recipes (the same goes for soap sprays). I've read about a lot of damage and had a little of my own with those home recipes.

It's probably too late to do you much good this year but taking care of it now will help for next year.

Look into fruit bagging for next year. I did it once a long time ago to get a plum. If people are doing it for peaches it should help.

• myk1
    15 years ago

I finally got around to checking my sulfur and peach is listed for brown rot and scab and it seems to say it's OK in stages other than prebloom (so they're claiming it won't defoliate the tree, if you follow directions).

An FYI, just because something is "organic" doesn't mean you don't have to be safe with it. Even your kitchen cabinet oil would not do you well if you inhaled the mist.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Copper and sulphur are the best organic sprays for diseases on peaches. Copper can only be used through bloom because the leaves cannot tolerate the copper later in the season. You should also know that many of the problems on peaches are due to bugs. The best organic controls there are spinosad and Suround. Or bagging the fruit in footies.

Scott

• sakura2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for taking your time to post suggestions people!
    I was going to get rid of my pear tree because I never had good fruits but because this tree looks like trying very hard to survive, I decided to keep and nurture.

• myk1
    15 years ago

Pears seem to be pretty easy to grow organically once the tree is established. At least they are around here.
    I never had a problem with my pear fruit but the young tree died (fireblight?). My neighbor never cared for his pears and they were pristine.

• sakura2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I need to correct my last message.
    Thank you for taking your time to post suggestions people!
    I was going to get rid of my PEACH tree because I never had good fruits but because this tree looks like trying very hard to survive, I decided to keep and nurture.