Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Part-Shade berries?

Posted by marylandroyal 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:57

Hi,

I'm brand new to landscaping, gardening and this site in general. I'm trying to plan a small berry patch for the back corner of the yard which measures about 15' x 15'. It gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun a day (unfortunately most of my yard is shady). Are there certain types of berries that would do well back there provided I improve the soil correctly? Thanks for the tips!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Part-Shade berries?

Heritage red raspberries are pretty forgiving. You would get berries, just not as many.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:05

Honeyberries, currants and raspberries can tolerate some shade. 5 hours is probably enough for those mentioned. Anne and Fall Gold would also be good raspberry choices. Remember they spread like wild.
A raised bed can contain them a little, they will still make their way out. But you can pull the stray canes out. What I do. You could make a bed 15' x18 inches. You really do not want it any wider. I used 25 inches and think it is too wide. Next time 18. Canes in the middle do not get enough light in my bed. Not sure how well currants or honeyberries would grow in 7a? But the rest of the bed could be for them.
If you used the whole area for raspberries you could have a few 15 foot long patches. Depends, the light may be blocked by the first bed, etc. It depends on angle of the sun. Two or three 15 foot long patches would give huge yields of berries. I have about 40 feet and get over 20 pounds. Although I never really weighed them.

o

Blackberries would do well there, without the need for raised beds.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 23:24

Some of my blackberries sucker pretty good too, You don't really need raised beds, but it helps keep it neat.
The main purpose of my beds is it was easy to train my dog to stay out. He tends to wander into the in ground plantings. I also needed to control PH for blueberries.

o

Thanks for the tips. I actually have one blackberry plant (2nd year I believe) back there I received as a gift to see how it would do. I planted it in the spring and tho it hasn't produced much it appears to be growing and doing well. I'll prob go with a mix of blackberries and raspberries as both are my favorite berries to eat anyway. Thanks again for the tips!

o

There's also Evergreen Huckleberry.They grow bigger in shade,but won't fruit as much. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here