Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mes111

Abused Pear tree I inherited problem

mes111
9 years ago

I inherited this abused Seckel pear from a neighbor. It is in a 5 gal pot anI plan on transfering to onground.

There are 2 issues that I see with the leaves.
Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

Comments (8)

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how big is the tree.. and how small is the pot... and how long has it been in the pot??? .. is the media worn out ...

i am guessing... the tree is incredibly stressed ... and subject to all kinds of problems ... and solving the individual problems.. will not overcome the stress ....

and i just dont know if i would go slathering on all kinds of chemicals on a stressed tree ...

EDIT: never mind this part ... i thought you were in the tree forum ... i referred you to teh fruit forum...

you have two zones.. 5 and 7 in one garden??? .... incredible ... meaning.. where is the tree???? at the cottage or the house.. ????

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 10:57

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Cedar apple rust on the top; looks like pear scab on the bottom? Get that tree on a disease spray program next year.

Scott

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken

I have my main orchard in upstate NY (5b) and a few trees in Nassau County NY.

The tree is in a 5 gallon pot and this is the second year. I will be taking it out of the pot and putting it in the ground but I think it would be best to wait for the fall. The tree was laying at a 30 degree angle on its side in a corner amongst some tall weeds. Is was a single trunk with small branchlets none thicker than a pencil or longer than 15 inches. And... the trunk broke about 3 feet off the crown. I cut off the ragged top so now it has been headedat about 3 feet with branches below the cut.

I am looking at triage until the fall when I can plant it in the ground.

Mike

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scott:

Looked up pear scab. Looks like you are right on the money.

I forgot that CAR can also attacks pears.

What do you think about Immunox to protect against spread to new growth.

Mike

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Spraying now would probably do more to protect nearby cedars than the pear as damage to it is probably over. In all my years in the Northeast I've never seen CAR on a pear and I've seen plenty of unprotected trees in CAR heavy areas. Cornell does not list it as a common pest of pears, or at least doesn't discuss it or list it in its guide for commercial production.

Immunox will work on it and I suppose you might as well put some on the pear now but It doesn't seem to work well on pear scab as it does on apple scab. Mancozeb is probably your best bet for that.

• mes111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H'man:

I have Mancozeb and will apply.

Looked it up and found that "Cedar Apple Rust" is one of several similar fungal diseases which are classified as "Juniper-Rosaceous Rusts". They all look the same and some will infect pears as well as serviceberries, quince hawthorne etc.

See below
    Thanx
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Apple not for apples only

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Mike, I actually looked around before writing that and went beyond the Cornell download to find some pictures of the other rusts at a different site, which actually didn't look at all the same as CAR. But I don't know if the pictures are "lying" as they sometimes do. The pictures were of quince rust, which I've seen on hawthorns before, or something that does look like the pictures of it.