Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishacura

Blueberry Bushes

fishacura
11 years ago

I have decided to plant blueberries and rasberries for next year. We've been talking about it for a while but are finally going to do it.

Anyone know of a good online nursery (or one in the Philadelphia area..we are in Chester County) for bushes? I could go to Nourse but we're not interested in buying small and waiting several years. We'd rather move right to established bushes if they are an option. I just don't know much about it....

Comments (7)

• riverman1
    11 years ago

Of most importance for blueberries is getting the soil right.......if not your plants will struggle.

I ordered some plants from Heartland last year and although they were very small they did grow well. I have mixed feelings about ordering larger plants. The reason I say this is becuase they tend to need a full growing season to get their legs down so whether you buy young plants or some a year older you will have to wait a couple years for good production.

The other thing to think about is which variety, some in your area probably grow very well while others maybe not so good. I have had good luck with Reka but I also like Toro, Duke, and Bluecrop.

RM

• fishacura
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you know:

1. If bushes need to be wrapped in the winter (zone 6)

2. If they would do well in clay soil (assuming I get the PH right) or would I have to bring in topsoil?

• fishacura
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you know:

1. If bushes need to be wrapped in the winter (zone 6)

2. If they would do well in clay soil (assuming I get the PH right) or would I have to bring in topsoil?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

fishacura,
    Most Northern Highbush can withstand Zone 6 winter temperatures.
    A hole can be dug,wider than deeper with Pine bark mulch and some moss peat put into it.Add a little Sulfur also if the pH is high.
    I'd probably look for local plants if going big.I've seen some advertised on Craigslist in my area. Brady

• abz5b
    11 years ago

If you plan on conttainer growing your blueberries buy a zone or 2 lower than yours. As the roots will be more exposed than if you plant in the ground. Toro is a hardy but slower growing variety. Also one of the more ornamental of the blueberries. Plan on adding o few of that variety soon.

• n2xjk
    11 years ago

Normally the big box store's aren't where I buy nursery stock, but oddly enough, Lowe's here still has a large selection of blueberry plants in gallon pots that look quite lush. Some have ripe berries on them. Some are over 3' high. $9.98 each. Whereas the local farm & garden store price for blueberry bushes: 1gal-$29.99, 2gal-$34.49. The middle of Summer isn't the best time to set out blueberry plants, but Lowe's seems to be a bargain if you can keep them moist (I'd give them a light pruning too while setting them out.) Too bad I don't need more plants right now.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Yes, amend your planting hole with peat and bark, but test it for drainage. Blueberry roots are shallow and wide, so make sure your hole is wide, but deep enough to provide significant drainage as blueberries do not like wet feet. In clay soil, you may have to dig fairly deep to provide sufficient drainage.