Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach tree pruning

Posted by PeterS1938 uk (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 10:10

Hi
I have a 5year old peach tree that has had a bad year due to leaf curl and lost its fruit.When I read up on it i am told prune in late Feb after the last frosts.Well,where I live in the south east we can have plenty of frosts up until May(dont cast a clout until May is out as the saying goes).As I have lost all the fruit could I prune now? The tree is in a very large frost free tub and has grown a lot of new foliage and apart from some old leaves still infected with leaf curl it still looks pretty healthy and we have been threatened with a couple of months of decent weather.Your comments would be much appreciated.
P.J.S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach tree pruning

I have done most of my peach pruning in summer time. Only do major structural pruning in early spring. Pruning in summer time might help reducing the risk of fugi infection.

summer pruning might affect fruit production. Since your tree is not in production, IMO you should prune many branches off as you want.

Make sure you dispose all the leaves/branches properly and spray it according to you local spray schedule

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here