Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIfference in pear leaves. Interesting!

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 10:12

I know growing fruit from seed usually means some sort of hybrid, reverting, or variation in the plant. I didnt know that the difference would be this profound.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIfference in pear leaves. Interesting!

I forgot the other pic LOL. Here it is

http://postimage.org/image/y54r1y353/

o

That's interesting- thanks for posting the pictures.

o

Juvenile leaves look different. As it grows out it will probably start to look more like a regular pear leaf. Thorns are also common on juvenile pears but are rare on mature pears or grafted trees.

Scott

o

Wow, I should clarify a few things. Sorry for being so vague.

THe first pic, if you havnt guessed, is a cultivated type, more specifically, "John".

The second pic, is the seedling from a "Bosc" pear. IT is just over a year old.

Scott - I was thinking that myself actually. There are no thorns at all on the seedling. I want to keep half of this, and graft on a more desireable/reliable variety as well. I couldnt find any likeness on any adult pear pictures I looked at, but I dont recall looking at younger plants.

It is interesting either way. THanks!

o

Additionally, 'John' is a hybrid, with P.ussuriensis as one parent, while Bosc is pure P.communis('course, we don't necessarily know the pollen parent of the Bosc seedling, do we?)

I don't notice much, in the way of thorns, on seedling pears for the first 2-3 years, but after that - watch out! They're almost as bad as a honeylocust.

o

Lucky - Even the hybrid has the general "pear" type leaf as far as I can tell.

And, Im somewhat sure, that the pear was ontario grown. I know bosc and barlett are decent pollinators for each other, so if I had to guess it may be barlett.

Good to know about the thorns too. Ill have to keep an eye out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here