Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree graft failure

Posted by Jazen none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:12

Hi all. I tried grafting a peach scion to Bailey rootstock this year, started a bit later and they seemed to fail. I did use a lot of grafting wax and I am wondering if this caused the failure? I used a cleft graft and taped it after smothering the graft with wax.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am going to try again with new scions.
Thanks
Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree graft failure

Jason, peaches are much harder to graft than most other fruits. They are picky in many dimensions so it can be hard to pinpoint the failure. You need temps to be highs in the 75-85F range, they don't like it too hot or too cold. Wrap in alu foil to help even out the temps (shiny side out). Grafting wax is usually OK but if you are not careful you can get it in the graft by mistake. I use parafilm to avoid this. You also need to completely seal the scion, either put grafting wax all over it or use parafilm or doc farewells (I use the latter). Sealing keeps it from drying out, it can take longer to get a take and you don't want it drying out while its mid-process. Lastly do 3-4 of each variety to increase the odds. Its easier to do multiple grafts on the same big stock if you use bark grafts - I can get 4-6 on one stock.

Scott

o

Scott
Thanks for the reply. I definitely got way to much grafting wax in the graft. I also taped around the wax, so it being +90 here in Illinois, I am sure it seeped into the graft. I will try your suggestions in the second attempt. What size scion should I be using?
Again, many thanks
Jason

o

Scott
Thanks for the reply. I definitely got way to much grafting wax in the graft. I also taped around the wax, so it being +90 here in Illinois, I am sure it seeped into the graft. I will try your suggestions in the second attempt. What size scion should I be using?
Again, many thanks
Jason

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here