Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Pai Li Asian pear from USDA finally fruiting

Tony
9 years ago

I grafted this variety 4 years ago onto a Cleveland Flowering pear rootstock. I got the scion from the USDA Corvallis. It is suppose to be one of the best in their collection from China. I will update their taste in late August.

Tony

Comments (5)

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Look very nice. When it comes to insect pressure, are they more similar to pears or apples?

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I'll be interested in the taste report. I have not had any really good Chinese pears yet, the Japanese and Korean ones have been superior. They also seem to take another 3-4 years to fruit compared to the Japanese ones. The closest I have come is Shin-Li which is a recent hybrid of a Japanese and Chinese pear. Its a great pear and is later than all the others as well so it extends the season.

Scott

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frank,

This tree fruited for the first time so I don't know yet. I think pear scab is a minor issue this tree has.

Tony

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Wow!!!! Mrs. G, You've got the touch!

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scott,

Here is the description from the USDA.Description: Pai Li originated from Honan, China. The fruits are large, pyriform, and greenish yellow. The flesh is granular, juicy, with a fair quality. The trees are vigorous. In Chico, California, Pai Li season begins early in August. -- Pu Fu Shen. 1989.

Pai Li is probably the most popular pear among the Chinese in north China, and is it is also very highly regarded by all foreigners. The sweet flavor of this variety especially appeals to the Chinese, and it must also be added that most Chinese do not care for the tart and sub-acid fruits which we regard so highly in this country... The Pai Li is medium in size, usually 1.5 to 2 inches, although occasionally 2.5 inches in diameter. It is roundish or slightly oblate in shape. The color is a light lemon yellow, with many small inconspicuous cinnamon dots; and the skin is smooth, shiny and quite thin. The calyx is deciduous in about 80% of the fruits and persistent or partly so, in the remainder. At picking time, the flesh is firm, but becomes mellow, tender and is juicy whent ready to eat. No grit cells are noticeable except around the core as in the European pears. The flavor is sweet and very agreeable. In quality, it compares very well with the better European pears. It is an excellent keeper and can be obtained on the Peking market from October to the first of March.

In north China this is often known as the 'Peking Pear' as it is very papular at Peking and many other markets obtain their supply there. It is also extensively grown in the neighborhood of that city. This should prove a valuable pear for home use in local markets in America. It should also prove of value in breeding work, as it is of excellent quality and a splendid keeper, and possibly also in breeding blight resistant varieties as it appears to be a hybrid with P. ussuriensis as one of its parents

Tony

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio