Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo: What is wrong with this Plum Tree

Posted by tallclover Zone 8 Maritime Pac (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 10:35

My Imperial Epineuse plum and Early Laxton plum suffered from some sort of malady that dried out the leaves and left the trunk and tree seemingly dead, but a sprout did appear a month later.

Any ideas what's up?
Thank you, for your insight and expertise.
TC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo: What is wrong with this Plum Tree

That sprout is almost certainly from the rootstock.

o

Tallclover,

I planted 2 Satsuma and 1 Shiro 6 ft apart last year (I plan to keep them short). Came back from a vacation last week. One Satsuma looks just like your tree. I am sure it's dead. I suspected the cause is underground. I will dig it up for an autopsy. The other two nearby are alive and well.

Mine is a seedling rootstock so I don't think there will be any sprouting if it's truly dead.

o

Mamuang, a friend said it might be fire blight. I'll send in a sample to WSU and see what they say it is.

o

do you have gophers???

o

Is the graft above ground? Looks like tree died above graft and rootstock is sprouting maybe fruit nut or harvestman can tell what happened. I would just be guessing. I think tree is over unless you want to graft to root stock Sorry but don't give up

o

Tallcover,

Please let me know what WSU says. I've seen fire blight before. It did not look like this.

We have voles. Usually my neighbor cats took care of voles (and moles). I don't see those cats much this year. Hard to believe that voles would damage only one tree when a few others are so nearby.

Maybe, I should call UMass Extension services. They usually do not offer much help for backyard gardeners. I'll try to call them Monday.

o

Not fireblight. That affects apples and pears, not plums.

Perhaps graft failure as has been said.

Best to start over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here