Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to pick Apricots?

Posted by ritug 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 10:39

Hi

I want to know if this is the right time to pick apricots from my Tree? I see a few apricots lying around the garden and some are turning yellow - others look half eaten/diseased.

I dont want to lose the entire crop to birds and squirrels so I someone can let me know if I can pick them off the tree and ripen them indoors now or wait for a few more weeks?

I live in zone 5 Canada.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to pick Apricots?

You can pick them once they are fully colored and ripen them inside. The best time to pick for maximum quality is after they soften. But that can lead to heavy losses. If you think they won't be soft ripe on the tree for a few weeks, this is too early. About one week before soft ripe is OK. More than that and quality may suffer.

o

Well, I know the point of homegrown produce is to have things that are better tasting than at the grocery store, but by and large IMO commercially picked apricots are at the the right stage when put into cold storage.

I try to pick my homegrown ones when they look like the ones coming out of cold storage at the grocery stores -- still firm and with greenish cast but overall orange. They need to ripen further inside. But, if I leave them on the tree any longer I will lose them unless it's a rare, bumper crop. Picked at this stage they develop great flavor and generally get really sweet when fully ripe.

o

Hi
Thanks for your comments....they are still green and smallish - my only worry is that I wont get any as a number of them have devloped blemishes and some have been falling. Do you think mid July is a good time for this?

o

There isn't much you can do but wait, if you pick them now they will be worthless. Dennis gives about as early as they can be picked. I prefer to leave mine on until they are a bit soft on the tree, then they will develop the maximum flavor. Tonight I picked some Puget Gold and Afghanistan, yum!

Scott

o

Pick them when they are ready, otherwise they just don't taste as good and you might as well purchase them from a supermarket and not grow your own. I am picking gold kist and blenheim right now.

o

I picked several hunza today... They were great... I could have let them hang longer, but who knows about the birds/squirrels.

Photobucket

o

Mine just turned Orange but they are small. I do see a couple on the ground and I do have birds. Should I wait til the get bigger?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here