Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something stripping leaves

Posted by auntnana21 6 / NE TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 10:42

There is something stripping all the leaves off my fruit trees! I was out of town a couple of days and when I came back all the leaves are completely gone off about half of my apple, pear, cherry trees. Whatever it is isn't bothering the apples or pears, just the leaves. I've looked over every inch of what's left and can't find anything. Whatever it is is leaving a tiny trail of what looks like poo on the leaves that aren't completely gone. Poor trees look like twigs. They are still green and the apples and pears are growing good, they just have no leaves. I've never had this happen before. Will the leaves grow back? Will this permanently damage my trees? I don;t even know what to look for as I've never had anything strip the leaves before!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something stripping leaves

Lower half of the tree -- likely to be a woodchuck. They can and do climb, I've had them climb into my younger, smaller trees and strip the lower half -- I guess they don't like the wobbly outer branches, too thin to support their weight.

If it's higher up, most likely deer.

The trees will recover, as long as the new growth isn't continuously stripped.

o

Lower half of the tree -- likely to be a woodchuck. They can and do climb, I've had them climb into my younger, smaller trees and strip the lower half -- I guess they don't like the wobbly outer branches, too thin to support their weight.

If it's higher up, most likely deer.

The trees will recover, as long as the new growth isn't continuously stripped.

o

I would think deer would eat the apples and pears

o

If it is an animal there will be a bite mark, usually deer bite off a leaf leaving half an inch or so of stem left. Bugs on the other hand will not leave such a clean break. Please describe what fragments are left of your eaten leaves, and if there are leaves missing that are taller than any deer could reach.

Scott

o

I have a similar issue with two pear trees and a peach. All of the leaves are missing from about four feet down. Most of the leaves look like they were cut where the leaf and stem meet, leaving a tree of stems! The others, the leaves and stems are missing, however above four feet, they look normal. The trees are about six feet in total and were planted about 2 months ago.
Thank you,

o

pmorris that sounds just like deer.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here