Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning new growth?

Posted by happygarden168 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 10:45

What would you do?
I got a lot of new growth this year. 3rd summer in my yard.
The new growth are about 24 inches. It makes the tree about 8 feet.
I read that too much new growth is not good.
Oh, it's an asian pear.
if I should to prune, do I prune now or late winter or early spring?
Thank you in advance for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning new growth?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 13:29

You can prune or tip the branches now. Then, if possible, cut back on water and fertilizer until the tree quits growing. That's enough growth for one year. It's time to slow the tree down in preparation for winter.

o

Thank you for the knowledgeable advise.
I will do that. Hopefully, no new growth after I prune.
I do like the tree to be short for fruit picking purposes.

o

I rarely tip prune young trees- doesn't create a useful response and is stimulating of more rank growth of which Asian pears tend to provide more than their share. It is precisely the wrong thing to do if you want the tree to begin hardening off.

A tree that is establishing can't grow too much in a season, IMO- the sooner it fills the space you want for it the better- if it gets a bit too tall during the growing season you can always bring it down later.

Tip pruning is something I do when trying to develop secondary and tertiary branching off of scaffolds in excessively lanky trees. Best results are acquired if you begin this in spring.

I'd let the tree grow to help it feed its wood and root system but maybe spread my permanent branches to a more horizontal position now. Eliminate the excess branches when tree is dormant.

So now you have conflicting advice from two experts. Obviously there is more than one road to Rome.

o

Hmmmm.....
I was afraid I will get 2 opposites expert opinions!
Back to thinking again....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here