Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rookie blueberry question (red leaves)

Posted by rwr_tdy 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:46

Recently I got the blueberry growing bug and now have four Peach Sorbet BrazelBerry bushes. The new growth is coming green and red and I'm trying to figure out what the deal is. Also, I'm assuming the white stuff on the leaves is some kind of fungus.

- They were transplanted about a month ago
- I've used Miracle gro for azaleas
- I typically water with coffee/apple cider concoction
- They get sun most of the day

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rookie blueberry question (red leaves)

I think Peach Sorbet BrazelBerry is a hybrid Blueberry developed by Fall Creek Nursery.I took a look at other photos online and they look somewhat like the ones in your picture,so maybe that's the way new leaves come out.
The white stuff on the surface could be minerals from irrigation.Will it wash off with straight water? Brady

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:27

It is common for blueberry leaves to emerge in varying shades of red, brown, and green. I think it has to do with the development of the chlorophyll, and the ability of the roots to take up and transport nutrients from the soil. Sometimes this is an issue in the early spring, when soil temperature is low. The problem usually goes away in 30 days or so. It helps to have abundant wood fiber in the soil, to feed the fungi that inhabit the root system. It helps to have the soil pH down around 4.5, and it helps to keep the shrubs well watered.

o

In 8 weeks they'll be as green as the others. The other leaves look healthy and there's no reason to expect these won't be either.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 19:57

I do experience this at times, but most of the time new growth on my plants is never red. It's an indicator, nothing may be wrong, then again conditions are not ideal.

o

Everyone thanks for the great inputs they were extremely helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here