Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Santa Rosa vs Weeping Santa Rosa

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 10:48

I have both of these plums supposedly, but my WSR is not weeping. Maybe it just isn't big enough to start weeping? In fact it is growing too upright now. The tree is definitely closely related to SR. The plums are slightly more round and slightly more perfumed (better) tasting and slightly less bitter. So, whatever SR variant I have it is fantastic. Does anyone else have a weeping Santa Rosa that is not weeping?

Both SR and WSR are producing great plums now. Every year I appreciate plums more and more, they get less pest pressure and are easier to grow than peaches, cherries, and apples, plus I find it much easier to get huge production off of my plums. SR often produces poorly so is often an exception to that, but this year it is loaded.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Santa Rosa vs Weeping Santa Rosa

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 11:14

Scott:

The weeping SR that I had in CA was weeping from the get go. The fruit is highly rated but I never ate enough to form an opinion.

o

Santa Rosa bitter? Not off any tree I've tasted. There's a little sour tang with that sugar- is that what you're talking about?

o

Yes I should have not said bitter. Just more sour in the skin. The plums off my SR are fantastic, I don't want to make it sound like they are not. I ate a super-ripe Flavor Supreme and thought that could not be topped, but then I had one of the SRs and WOW I couldn't even remember what the FS tasted like.

Scott

o

Ah, that's more like it. Let's pay some homage to Luther Burbank. I'd like to think some varieties never go out of style.

Scott, by the way, it's Methely season here and I'm eating totally better Earli-Majic fruit that started ripening just about 2 days behind Methely- Shiro's still green. If you like SR you really need to grow this plum if it works down there. Have me send you some wood. It is just amazingly flavorful for such an early plum and easy to grow.

o

I looked for that plum but could not find it; thanks for the offer, I would like to try it.

The only good early plum I had this year was Spring Satin. If they are left on the tree a very long time they turn into this wonderfully aromatic fruit. Harvested when you would pluck a normal plum they are fine but nothing special.

Scott

o

I have a Weeping SR in year 2, pruned to trunk this spring, and the branches are on the ground with 2 feet dragging, and still growing. I think you have a mis-label.

I would be happy to send you bud or scionwood, I literally had to prune off several 5 foot branches this spring--plenty to spare!

Carla in Sac

o

Yep, it certainly sounds like I have the wrong variety. I got it from a CRFG swap and its not the first mislabeled thing I have from those swaps (most have been accurate though). Its surprising that it is so close to my SR but not the same. Maybe its a mutation on WSR which is not weeping?? Thanks for the offer of the wood, I may ask you this winter when I have a space to put it (I'll be topworking a few duds).

Scott

o

Scott,

I can't remember for certain, but I might have been the one who originally sent you "Weeping Santa Rosa" scionwood. If the propagation material came from me, your plant is true "W.S.R.", as I would have cut budwood from my own tree -- which is definitely "W.S.R.".

"W.S.R." is significantly better than plain "Santa Rosa", in my opinion -- in fact, I would go so far as to say that it is one of my favorite fruits. It also ripens fairly early in my location, usually around June 20. (They were late this year, though ... we had a cool spring.)

o

Ashok I did get it through you, I had thought you got it at the swap but apparently not! I don't know why its not weeping, maybe its because I have it in a very tight spot. It definitely does seem better tasting than my SRs. The only other thing I can think of I got a sport branch on your tree or the grafting led to a sport -- neither particularly likely.

Scott

o

Scott,

You have posted photographs of your orchard, and the trees are planted in a tightly-packed hedgerow pattern. I think "W.S.R." needs space to develop the weeping habit -- longer limbs should start to droop/weep at the edge of the canopy in a larger plant. But it certainly doesn't "weep" in the same sense that (for example) a weeping willow does.

It is possible that you got material from a budsport limb on my tree, but that does seem less likely.

By the way, I'm not certain that "W.S.R." necessarily has any actual connection to "Santa Rosa" (e.g. seedling or budsport). My guess is that "Santa Rosa" is by far the most commonly planted plum in California, so the very-familiar name might have been attached to an unrelated clone. (I'm sure Todd K. would know the actual origin of the cultivar, if anyone cared to inquire.)

o

We had a regular Santa Rosa plum tree that produced HUGE crops of fruit every year but for us it was a bit too sour. We bought a Weeping Santa Rosa tree a few years ago that has weeped to the ground (can't recall when it began to 'weep') & has sweeter, very good tasting but milder fruit which we prefer. Hubby got a semi-dwarf WSR later & planted it & it did take a couple years before the branches began to weep, so yours probably will do so later also... patience! I believe I read somewhere that the actor Raymond Burr has the WSR's lining his driveway for their beautiful shape!
Good luck!

o

I wonder if these "sour" Santa Rosa's taste like the ones grown here in southeastern NY where they have a bit of tang inside the skin but are otherwise pure sugar. I wouldn't want to give up that tang, myself. I consider a completely ripe Santa Rosa a perfect fruit- not my favorite plum because there are others I like as well.

o

harvestman:
The regular Santa Rosa plum I described earlier that was too sour for us... yes, it was just the skin & inside the skin that was so sour... the fruit was not that bad but the WSR is so sweet, skin & all so we prefer it for eating!

o

Some people like all sugar, I like some contrast. Your tastes might change when you get older as I used to love Asian pears but now they taste like sweet nothing to me. For a while, years ago, Fuji was my favorite apple now it's just too boringly sweet.

o

"Weeping Santa Rosa" fruit definitely have a sweet/tart contrast, with tartness at the skin and near the pit. They are also extremely aromatic, in my opinion as highly scented as muscat grapes or lychees. They're not all sugar.

Plain "Santa Rosa" fruit are more intensely tart, so, if you groove on that sensation, you might prefer them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here