Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Pear rootstocks for the south. OHxF 513, 333?

gonebananas_gw
15 years ago

Most state extension services in the south recommend Pyrus calleryana for its various desirable attributes, including nematode resistance or tolerance I believe. But "callery" gives a vigorous growing full-size tree, even >100% I think, compared to the Bartlett seedling standard for 100%. Dwarfing has several advantages for a yard tree, possibly including a growth retardation secondary effect on fireblight resistance (fewer flushes of young new leaves). Rumor has it (based on how much experience and where?) that at OHxF 333 rootstock semidwarfs to ~50-70% and OHxF 513 (the most readily available to a home grafter) to ~70%. A skilled and experienced avocational grower in Virginia I believe has recommended OHxF 51, unavailable commercially (though I have some growing now and can root some). But it apparently dwarfs less that OHxF 513, which he said is almost "bonsai" under his conditions. I am now trying the OHxF 51 based on availability and the fact that highly dwarfing would be fine with me, but the grafts are barely saplings as yet. (The traditional dwarfing stock for pears is quince, highly susceptible to fireblight.)

Does anyone in the south have experience with OHxF 333 or 513 or another dwarfing or semidwarfing rootstock?

Comments (4)