Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haraldred and Candy Crisp Apple

Posted by ForeverRecycleReuse MN 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 10:55

I planted a Haraldred apple tree this Spring and need a second tree for cross-pollination. If possible, I would like to have an apple tree for cooking purposes and the other for fresh eating. Will a Candy Crisp be a good pollinator for the Haraldred? The other fresh eating apple that I am considering is the Honeycrisp.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haraldred and Candy Crisp Apple

• Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:11

My experience with honeycrisp and Haralred is that the Haralred is a great tree that grows strong and ignores problems, while the Honeycrisp gets beat up with cedar rust and Japanese beetles and just barely survived if first few years. The HC has never had a bloom on it and now is 6 years old. I bought a fireside to pollinate the Haralred. I will have a decent crop off the haralred this year. the Fireside still too small to leave the fruit on it, but it blooms well.

However, The HC is doing much better this year finally. Still rust and beetles but the tree is strong enough to push through, so hoping for blooms next year.

o
RE: Haraldred and CandyCrisp Apple

That has been my hesitation with the Honeycrisp. Though it is a great tasting apple, I have heard from many people experiencing challenges with growing it.

I haven't really heard much about the CandyCrisp apple but I don't know of anyone trying to grow it either...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here