Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blackberrys drying up before ripening

Posted by mrsackadmer none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 11:03

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP My blackberrys are absolutely loaded this year, sooooo excited. For the last 8 days we have had over 100 degrees beating down sun, and my blackberrys are starting to ripen. Unfortunately they are drying up and srivilling up and dying even the leaves. I am watering but what can I do. I am afraid I will loose the entire crop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blackberrys drying up before ripening

My raspberries get sunburned, so I have an old sheet I throw over them if it's going to be too hot for them. They seem to like it, maybe your blackberries will too. My best blacks grow in partial shade.

o
RE: blackberrys drying up before ripening

The trick was to have the plants very well-watered when the hot spell was forecast and not here yet. Shade cloth may have helped.

Wild blackberry patches that don't get watered often have shriveled crops due to extreme hot weather.

How many years have you had the berry plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here