Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Persimmon Crosses

Posted by tonytran 5a Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:11

Scott, Lucky, Creek, and All.

I finally got a bunch of crosses of my own. Prok/Szukis, NC-10/Szukis, Early Golden/Szukis, Meader/Szukis. I do not have too much room left and planning to put four in a hole and prune them accordingly to keep them balance. Hopefully in 5-7 years to taste the fruits of my own creation.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Persimmon Crosses

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 13:16

Excellent Work Tony,
I can't wait to hear about the flavors. You are continuing the Lehman/Claypool legacy. My Szukis finally bloomed this year, so I think I'm going to get a lot more persimmons than ever before. My current favorite is Garretson, but I like them all.
John S
PDX OR

o

Tony, I salute you for carrying on this work.
A couple questions:
Why did you choose Szukis (other than the obvious convenience of male flowers) as your male? I know Lee Reich likes his Szukis, but I haven't heard a whole lot of other positives about this one. For me so far I've found it to be average quality and smaller than average size, but I haven't had so many yet.
Did you run your breeding plans by Jerry Lehman? As you know he's the present day guru of persimmon breeding, and before endeavoring on some seven year project, it might be wise to check with him first to make sure your crosses are at the forefront of what's currently being tried.

o

Creek,

Szukis is the only male that flower right now. So I used it for what at hand. The F-100 has not flower yet. Jerry is going to send me some male scions next spring.

Tony

o

It would take many more years doing it that way. Better might be to obtain pollen from a promising male variety, which can be shipped frozen.

o

Creek,

I know, but it is easier for me to have a multi-grafts male tree because a lot of my D.V. are maturing at a different stage. I hate to ask Jerry to send me frozen pollens every year. I hope to cross a good male with Jerry F2 persimmons( U-20A, 100--42, 100-43)(Knightville, and Prok) and try to avoid in-breeding.

Tony

o

Would it be possible to exchange some verities of Asian persimmons?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here