Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My neighbors must think I'm insane

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:12

So my attempt at saving my blackberries from SWD this year is to do this--

To ever berry cluster. For once I'm thankful I only have three blackberry plants. LOL

I don't know for sure if it'll work or even if that fabric is fine enough. Summer weight fabric from gardeners.com. But desperate times and all that though... I want my blackberries!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My neighbors must think I'm insane

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:22

I think it will work! keep us updated. Looks like something one could use to save seeds, make sure they self pollinate and not get pollen from other flowers.

o

I do that with trees susceptible to the Japanese beetles.

On one episode of the Homeland show, I noticed entire trees netted against some pest, possibly periodic cicadas. So people have seen this kind of thing before.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:47

At first there is an ick factor, but after awhile karma comes along and I eat them now , because those ripe berries are the best tasting, whether maggot infested or not.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:50

Good luck with your method of stopping SWD. We had them in our raspberries last summer, and I cut the patch down when the infestation got severe, to stop them from reproducing. Then we had a very cold and long winter, and this year, so far, no SWD in the raspberry patch! I am keeping my fingers crossed...

o

Don't worry about the neighbors, several years ago I put sockies on all of my peaches and it rained shortly thereafter making the sockies hang down. It wasn't long before I heard it, "your tree looks like it has condoms all over it". Well, from a distance the tree did look that way, didn't other me a bit. The peaches filled up the sockies in time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here