Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Does jujube fruit on it's leaves?

On my first year jujube it looks to me that the fruit is on the leaves not branches. The leaves are compound. Am I seeing things correctly?

Comments (17)

• Tony
    11 years ago

Yes , it does. Small white flowers .

Tony

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tony, that's a new one on me. I'm getting heavy fruit set on first leaf Honey Jar and Sugar Cane. But the fruit is very small. No bigger than a sweet cherry. I'm removing most of the fruit.

These things won't be here long unless the fruit is awfully good or considerably larger.

• maryhawkins99
    11 years ago

My sugar cane and honey jar jujube's are about the size of large grapes. You must have happy trees if they're fruiting the first year, about 1/3 of mine have done that, key seems to be getting plenty of water.

Original Author
    11 years ago

bhawkins:

Large grapes, yea that about covers mine as well. Man these things better be good. They are still blooming and setting fruit. I've been pushing them with water and fertilizer hoping to get enough wood to graft more trees this winter. Now I've figured out what I thought were branches are actually leaves.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I planted my first last October and it is just starting to flower now (probably a bit late to have fruit this year...). One thing I've noticed is that all 3 of my Jujube (1 planted in-ground and 2 in containers) have very small leaves- nothing like the pictures I see online which all have very large leaves.

Here's a picture of the "So" (contorted), which have have planted in the ground. I've tried to circle 2 spots with flowers as they are hard to see.

• glib
    11 years ago

I see that FN is unfazed by the unique health properties of jujubes. They will never be as tasty as a cherry, but you can dry them and nibble them through the winter.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Here is where the fruit will be attached to:

{{gwi:119770}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

olympia gardener:

Nice picture. Unlike anything else I grow I'm now thinking that everything in your picture is leaf tissue. So that will all fall off this fall when the plant sheds it's leaves. Is that right?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Fruitnut, It grows like figs, on the leave and stem axial. Depends on whether you want eat fresh jujube or dried jujube. I like eating fresh, juicy and crunchy jujube personaly. you have to pick it off the tree. Or if it is a talk tree, what you do is to use a long stick to beat the fruits to drop down. When they are fully ripe, yo shake the tree. Jujube trees in general don't have very thick trunks.

Original Author
    11 years ago

olympia:

Well to me it's not like a fig at all, if that's all leaf in your picture. Figs grow at the leaf axial but are most definitely attached to the stem. That stem doesn't shed in the fall. The jujube fruit appears to be attached to the junction of the individual leaf on a compound leaf. If that's all leaf it will all fall off this fall. In fact some of these compound leaves appear to be falling off now.

• Tony
    11 years ago

Here a good photo of sugarcane jujube

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: sugarcane jujube

• jianhuayegreentree
    11 years ago

That "So" (contorted) picture looks alright to me. The Jujube flower smells very pleasant. I like to be around the tree during Sun set.

• jianhuayegreentree
    11 years ago

tonytran,

Thanks for the link of Sugar Cane photo. The photo looks like my grafted Sugar Cane branch. The leave are small and slender compared to other varities. Hopefully it will bear fruits next year.

Honey Jar is the winner for me which bear right away last year after grafting and produce a lot more this year.

• jianhuayegreentree
    11 years ago

Right into the August, my Sugar Cane start to fruit. I got pretty good harvest now. It looks exactly like the link. It is very sweet. But it has a subtle bitter taste.

Honey Jar is the best very sweet and juicy.

My grafted Li also got few fruits. It's still green.

I expect next year will be more fruits.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I agree, Honey Jar is the best. Shanxi Li, Sugar Cane, and Li are my #2-#4.

Scott

• maryhawkins99
    11 years ago

My squirrels also like Honey Jar the best. They left the other jujube's alone, but cleaned out the Honey Jars.

• carolync1
    11 years ago

I have a Sherwood, which is planted at the corner of the driveway. Its advantages are an ornamental tree shape and thornlessness.

Not all varieties of jujube are good dried. Sherwood is almost inedible when dried. The biggest fruits are about the size of a small fresh prune. Fruit size varies with weather. The fruits of this variety are best when they still have a little green on the skin, or have just turned completely brown, eaten straight from the tree. Sweet and crunchy with a nice flavor. Skin is thicker than the skin of an apple. Inferior when they are the least bit wrinkled.

I left a sucker from the rootstock after pollination season this year and it has VERY small, dry fruit. Variety matters with jujubes.