Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

fire blight question

windfall_rob
10 years ago

I will try to get an image up later today, but I have a tree showing a widespread rapid wilting and browning out of leaves. The damage is spread evenly throughout the canopy not associated with anyparticular limbs or branches.

What is odd about it (to me) is that by in large the leaves that are effected are those growing right around the terminal bud scar from the beginning of this season. The rest of the shoot appears healthy....so the oldest leaves only.

No classic shepard crooks

Can fireblight show this way? I had always thought infection of small shoots would rapidly wilt the entire tip.

Also this has been present for about 2 weeks (possibly more) and does not appear to be spreading or showing new leaves wilting out.

We had a long stretch of very wet weather followed by a week of intense heat a while back. This tree is in a marginal soil location and could well have been suffering from wet feet this year. I am wondering if the combo of water logged soils and then heat stress might be accounting for the damage.

To further complicate things, I have seen damage similar to this after high heat before. but it has always been caused from twigs infested with OFM and presumably not able to keep up with the required water loads in the heat.

This tree definitely got hit hard by OFM this year, but When I inspect the present damage I am not finding a correlation to the wilting and OFM injury.

Comments (2)