Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funny Solution to Apple Eating Critter Problem

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:26

Thought I'd share this, because it's a wild solution, but it worked!

We live on the edge of the land of many critters. Our property runs down a hill across a seasonal stream, and half up the other side. It is occupied of many creatures. Our neighbors across the ravine have the same scenario, so that ravine is free land for nature.

Part of our land is fenced in, and at the edge of the fence, is a wonderful Anna Apple. We had a hard time getting any apples that didn't have pecks or bites in them prior to them even being ripe!

So I read that human urine scares critters away, and encouraged my DH to go stake his territory, and pee on that apple tree. Finally, he did, and we have had NO critter bitten apples since that day. They are big, ripe, delicious, crisp and juicy!

I really scrub those apples well prior to eating!! I'm just amazed that this silly solution actually worked!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funny Solution to Apple Eating Critter Problem

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 13:45

Maybe I will have to try that for our eastern whitetail deer...they have been unrelentingly nibbling at all my fruit trees.
And if it worked for the insects as well, I'd hook a pump up to the toilet drain and spray all the trees with it! :)

o

Ha-ha! That's so funny!

o

That's an old backwoods technique for protecting your cache or downed game and your campsight. I think it helps. I've been known to fill a beer bottle (now there's recycling!), stuff it with a paper towel wick, and stick it in the bushes near deer attractants. Can't say that was the cause, but haven't seen a deer around the house in weeks, even thought they were quite a nuisance this spring. They do move around and we may just be lucky, but either way they're gone for now.

Worth considering at the least.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 13:41

I wonder if it works with squirrels.
John S
PDX OR

o

I tried peeing around my nectarine last night. The tree rat still got two nectarines and avoided the trap by the trunk.

o

Ha! Sorry, but I didn't say this works on nectarines, but if it's rats, they HATE mothballs, so hang a few in your tree!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here