Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Raspberries

Posted by jas4141 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 11:29

My raspberry patch has grown in leaps and bounds. I'd like to trim it ALL back but is it wise to cut back even the newer shoots? I know to take the already fruited canes out but what about the rest. A good haircut would make the appearance much better but don't want to harm next year's crop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Raspberries

Wouldn't hurt to trim them. I wouldn't trim the main primocanes that will fruit next year. Mine are almost 6 feet tall now. The escapees (small primocanes) can be cut out now and wont affect production next year. you can also trim out the weaker canes if they are too close together. Had to do that with my Annes and Heritage last week.

o

I've planted Caroline and Ukee raspberries this year as well as, Ouachita blackberries. I thought I was supposed to top them off after they grew to three feet tall. True or not? I haven't done it yet, they are going on five feet tall. Mrs. G

o

Erect blackberries you trim at 42-48 inches so the laterals will grow. When you trim the plant it releases a hormone that triggers greater lateral growth which provides more surface area for blackberry production. Raspberries are different. They don't need to be trimmed to produce aggressively. They produce the laterals without trimming. Especially if you have an everbearing variety. If you do have an everbearing variety you trim the tops off after they finish fruiting.

o

Thanks ABz excellent advice. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here