Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

Online nurseries

poolecw
10 years ago

What is your "go to" online nursery? I've had extremely bad luck with Ty Ty so they are off my list. Its unfortunate because they had such a huge variety of plants.

I've just been turned on to the Raintree nursery so I may give them a try. I've also been looking at Isoms for muscidines.

Comments (22)

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

It depends on what you are looking for. For berry plants, I like Rolling River (potted) and Nourse (bare root). For fruit trees, I like ACN (large, high quality trees) and Cummins (lots of varieties).

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Well if you do a search on Ty Ty here you will find that they have a horrible reputation.

I have had good success with Cummins, Rolling River, Nourse, One Green World, Grafted Grape Vines, Whitman Farms, Vintage Virginia Apples, Trees of Antiquity, England's, and Tierra Madre.

I won't order again from Miller or C-O.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

My favorite nurseries are Raintree Nursery and Groworganic.com. They have outstanding costumer service.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Any nursery can screw up and get a bad review,but so far Edible Landscaping,Raintree,Burnt Ridge,Jung,Mail Order Natives and One Green World have worked out okay for the majority of my plant orders.
    I usually try to buy local and will go online if it isn't available near me. Brady

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

I use pense nurseries because high elevations no viruses. That was big plus for me on large order in 2001 on Blackberry plants. They have 100.00 minimum now.
    Working with nurseries all about timing order early last September no your zone planting time and set shipping dates accordingly mind 8b is as soon they go dormant in their zone that 28 degrees week after they ship.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I have had a total success with Raintree (if I've had a problem they have replaced the tree, within their one year guarantee period). Norse is brilliant for bareroot berries of all sorts. One Green World is excellent. Smith Nursery sent me an excellent peach tree. Arboreum is my all time favorite. I think their products are the best and I love their humor. I will be ordering from Cummins for the first time this coming spring and look foward to my two new apple trees. I am taking the recommendation of this forum on Cummins. I have ordered from these companies, now going on 8 years. I'm still considered a true 'newbie' which is right, but these on-line nurseries have been excellent. Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Poole, for muscadines I always get them from Isons - they have the best selection. For other things the folks above have given good choices.

Scott

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Raintrees customer service for me is an F. They wouldn't even return my e-mails/call. I wouldn't order trees from them again.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Noogs, so sorry to hear about your troubles with Raintree. What exactly happened so we will not do the same. Mrs. G

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I bought 5 ubileens and they arrived with pseudomonas infected cankers and died. It was part of an order with 5 tennessee's, which were resistant and have done very well. I just felt/feel like they sent me a bunch of wet material that hadn't been kept in consistent temps during dormant storage. I emailed them 2x to no avail. I want some other stuff only they carry and am hesitant.
    Whatever.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Call them up, they pay attention to calls more than emails.

Overall they are not the best for customer service. They sent me a truly dud tree, no roots at all, and all they did was replace it with another equally bad tree a year later which also died.

On the plus side their selection is fantastic and their plants are often good quality. The Black Diamonds I got this spring from them were very good plants, and the peach tree is doing very well.

Scott

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

Had hi quality trees from ACN in past, will be ordering again this coming year

Trees from Millers ordered many years ago-smaller trees than the other nurseries I've tried, took longer to get established.

Starks-mostly good experience, all trees have been large, good quality, healthy. Had one mislabeled peach tree about 18 yrs ago that took me several years to realize.

Southmeadow Fruit Gardens-unsure if still in existence. I still have 2 pear trees I ordered from them over 15 years ago but a few other trees were DOA and their customer service was crap, never got the trees replaced

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Noogs, Raintree is much faster to respond to phone calls, but. . . that is not good news. I understand not ordering. Hmmm. My Tomcot from them died this spring. It looked fairly dry when I planted it. But I emailed them and a replacement will arrive this coming spring. I'm out an entire year, but my all of my trees from Raintree have been disease free, thank goodness.
    They do have an excellent selection and you are usually shipped a three year old. That is really too bad.

• Strawther
    10 years ago

I've had good results with Ison's, Burnt Ridge, Edible Landscaping but especially good results with Just Fruits and Exotics.

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

Poole, you've got a couple solid nurseries in GA between Isons and Johnson Nursery. McKenzie in South Carolina specializes in citrus, especially hardy citrus -- he has a zone 8 commercial citrus orchard -- but sells other fruits as well. My favorite nursery is Hidden Springs in Tennessee. I like Edible Landscaping a lot, too. I've gotten good customer service and very nice, healthy trees from Starks Bros, but because of insects and diseases nothing I bought from them has done any good for me. After realizing the poor returns and how high maintenance the trees with the glossy photos the fruits of which I was used to buying in supermarkets from very different climates, grown under very different management far away are, I'm now replacing those things I bought from Starks Bros with the kind of trees that Hidden Springs and Edible Landscaping specialize in, great fruits that I think really are much better suited to the Southeast and to backyard style management. I haven't yet bought anything from Nolin Nursery in KY, but they also specialize in some things I wish I had given more attention to early on. If you're looking at standard/common fruits (similar to what Starks Bros sells), fruittreefarm.com in TN seems to have a really good selection and good prices, but I haven't ever bought from them either.

• poolecw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Cuz Floyd, thanks for the tip on Johnson Nursery. They are in Elijay which is about 50 miles through the mountains from me. I will have to swing by and check them out.

I'm going to order some muscadines from Isoms this coming spring. Looks like they are the authority when it comes to muscadines.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Does anybody know of nurseries that sell small trees? I keep hearing how you get these large great trees, and well I don't want large trees as i can't shape them the way i want. They are too old!! Since most stone fruits produce rapidly size is of no concern for production. A year's difference in production at the very most. i can handle that and get to make the knee high scaffold branches i want.

One Green World and Indiana Berry have been outstanding. But all the companies mentioned, many i have dealt with. Most provided plants that did survive.

Miller nurseries have taken some review hits. I did order three raspberries from them. Caroline, Taylor, and Allen. And the plants were fantastic, so for raspberries they are really decent. Hard to find Taylor and Allen, so I tried them, and super glad I did!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 11:25

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Drew,
    You can get small stone-fruit (~7/16") from Fruit Tree Farms or Vaughn nursery. They also have good selection and pricing.

• corbeano
    10 years ago

I'm just a passer by to the fruit forum. I'm usually reading in the carnivorous plants area....but I have to say...the Ty Ty website is the weirdest I've ever seen! Who makes videos of women in bikinis and men taking showers with apricots to sell plants!?

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Anyone want to recommend the best place to order maybe a dozen blueberry plants? Its time to get serious about growing some berries... Anyplace that has Chandler or Northland... maybe Darrow...

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

Raintree nursery has them on sale.

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

Re TyTy. Say what will you about their plants -- & I won't comment as long as libel and slander laws are operative-- take it from someone who's done well in Internet sales, they're very very savvy re Internet ranking and marketing. Weird? Yes. Kinky? Yes. Effective? Heck yes!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida