Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree's With Leaf Curl

Posted by PeterS1938 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 11:32

Hello,

I have a Peach tree and Nectarine tree in our garden both of which are potted in large containers. I have a problem with leaf curl though which is affecting both trees. I am sure there is a treatment of some sort which can be applied to the soil in the container rather than by spray application to the tree itself but cannot locate anything. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what would be best to use for this problem?

I have already treated both trees with winter wash and copper sulphate mixture but this has had no real effect so far.

Many thanks, Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree's With Leaf Curl

I am not an expert but my history with curl was to use 45-0-0 let the tree push through the curl and still give good fruit and come back. Take this as a newbee whithout Hmans knowlage.

o

Peter:

The only effective treatment is during the dormant season, Nov to Febr or March. Right now all you can do is try to grow new leaves as suggested. Also pick up and destroy damaged leaves.

o

I am new to fruits. I planted my trees 2 years ago. Without knowing, I planted an Elberta peach in rainy Portland Oregon (stupid, I know). I sprayed a sulfer type spray on all my trees in the fall, then a copper based one on the peach in February.

I live in RAINY DAMP Portland and my peach tree has ZERO leaf curl issues. That's right, no PLC. I am starting to wonder if controlling PLC is as easy as a late winter application of copper. Or could it be that my tree was a mislabeled resistant variety? Surly I would have at least ONE affected leaf?
(other peach trees in the neighborhood are COVERED in PLC)

I vote for feeding your tree and letting it push through the PLC. Then spray it with a copper spray in late winter before it leafs out, and maybe in fall for good measure.

o

Management is via spray during dormant season.
No soil treatment available.

o
Peach Tree's With Leaf Curl

Hi
Does anyone know the names of any leaf curl resistant peach or nectarine trees?
Peter

o

Redhaven is tolerant. Some others are described in the link too.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis on Peach Leaf Curl with Tolerant Varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here