Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer pruning of BBs

Posted by beeman_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 11:40

I read a post somewhere regarding Summer pruning of BBs and it suggested waiting until after harvest.
Our harvest is still under way, about 1 more week till finish.
Is it too late to summer prune here in Zone 5, middle Ontario?
These are 3 year old bushes, installed in ground this spring. Thanks to this forum growing extremely well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer pruning of BBs

Beeman,

The summer pruning is only for those in very warm climates. Due to the length of out growing season we can prune after harvest in June, get a new flush of growth and still have time to grow and set next years fruit buds.

o

Beeman,
for us up north, winter prune. At this point we don't want any new canes. They wont harden off before the cold.

o

OK point taken, but why do we still summer prune other fruit?

Surely the hardening off time is still the same, just different trees?

o

Beeman,

Which fruit?

o

Just curious -- at what zone would you guys draw the line for blueberry summer pruning? Or how much time would be the minimum between pruning and the arrival of sub-freezing temps?

o

I would guess a solid 8 month growing season....so zone 8? I stop pinching in mid August and my fist chance of frost is about Christmas, so if you could have a solid 3 months after pruning till cold weather sets in that would probably be enough. I really don't have a good answer for you, just guesses.

o

Thanks -- that's a big help. I suspected that I was close to the limit of where summer pruning would be advisable, but I think I'll try it on a few SHB cultivars that have already finished fruiting. We usually don't see frost here until early to November...

o

There's a bit of a hard sell going on with regard to Summer pruning for southern highbush BB lately. It's an optional method, not a requirement. I Winter prune and I like it.

Here are some resources that recommend Winter pruning:

GROWING BLUEBERRIES IN THE SACRAMENTO REGION

CARE OF SOUTHERN HIGHBUSH BLUEBERRIES

Video presentation of a Nor Cal Master gardener that winter prunes at: 1:14:09
Also hands-on winter pruning of 10yr old bushes at: 1:27:17

o

Clint,

Lol a hard sell? We are simply giving options. If you want to follow outdated advice go for it....perhaps you can try rubbing coal tar on a tumor to cure cancer or maybe you want to go back to using the telegraph instead of using a telephone?

Summer pruning yields more growth more fruit and healthier plants. There is no down side to doing it. Universities that specialize in growing blueberries all recommend it if you are warm enough to do it. The fact your vendors don't just shows how behind they are, their guides were probably written 20 years ago:)

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 8:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here