Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird berry mystery

Posted by ILoveCucumbers 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 11:43

My blackberries are Prime Jims. Last fall, I moved my berry bushes and someone showed me how to trim them so they could be trellised.

This spring, I was greeted with this. The leaves are pale green, look nothing like Prime Jim, and the berries are fuzzy! I've never seen ANYTHING like this. This does not look like Prime Jim.

Any ideas? As always, I Googled, but "fuzzy red berries" and "blackberry" yielded nothing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird berry mystery

Its a wild red raspberry. They are translucent, and taste ok. They do not have the 'frosted' look of a regular raspberry, they are very shiney. Mrs. G

o

It's Rubus phoenicolasias aka Japanese Wineberry.

o

Thanks Floral! I couldn't find the name anywhere, quickly. They grown wild here in the NE of America; weed-like at the edge of forests and roadsides. Could this berry be a reversion back to one of its parents? Mrs. G

o

I SAW the Prime Jim being transplanted where this Japanese Wineberry is, and there are no such plants on my property. I'm still scratching my head over this one. Maybe a bird pooped out a seed?

I'm a curious type, so I am looking forward to sampling these berries. The flavor is described as sweet and tart, with a raspberry-like flavor (duh).

o

This is the second case on this forum within the past few weeks of blackberry morphing into wineberry after a transplant. Check for nearby alien landing craft marks.

Are there enough plants to form a row--birds don't plant seed like this.

o

They are indeed in a row. But as I said, there are absolutely no other Japanese wineberry bushes on my property.

I'm going to go look for that other case. That's just weird.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 22:10

"Could this berry be a reversion back to one of its parents?"
Probably not, it is an invasive species, but at least it has fruit and is useful in that sense. I would go with the bird droppings, he saw more berries and checked yours out. Makes a lot of sense. A berry eating bird is going to hang around any berries it finds.

o

Are there situations where you go from a sprouted seed to blooming canes in well under a year?

o

"Are there situations where you go from a sprouted seed to blooming canes in well under a year? "

No, he must have moved a cane thinking it was Prime Jim. Sounds like Ilovecucumbers moved more than one plant, it was probably already there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here