Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trouble with strawberry transplants

Posted by CarternKY 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 11:46

Strawberries went on sale at Lowe's a few weeks ago so I bought some for really cheap. Some of them were small and looked a little rough (dead leaves). I planted them and they aren't doing well (I know you're supposed to plant in the spring/fall typically).

I put straw mulch around them today but they didn't have any mulch for about two weeks. Have the plants gone dormant from the heat by chance or are they dying? It's getting up to 95-100 here every day. Should I put row cover over them or would that heat the ground up too much? Basically I need advice on getting them through the heat and dry spell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trouble with strawberry transplants

Just keep them really well watered as they are taking root. You probably won't see much vegetative growth happening for a while, but they should be ok. They are pretty hardy plants and will multiply like crazy once they get established. Giving them some temporary shade would be a good idea, even if it's just an umbrella or something, shading them from the hot afternoon sun would be best. Also, you made sure not to bury the crowns right?

Once they get rooted well, give them some fertilizer, they are fairly heavy feeders.

o

Thanks for your advice. Most of the crowns are set about right. I was moving quickly and a few crowns may be slightly above the ground. I mulched these with compost when I realized my mistake so I'm hoping they'll be ok. At this point I doubt it would be worth digging up to adjust.

o

Yeah, I wouldn't dig them back up, a bit too high is probably better than too deep.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here