Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Each grape is small

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:48

I have grape vines that are 10 years old. THey have been producing long bunches of grapes for years. Even though the bunch is long, with plenty of grapes on each bunch, the individual grapes themselves are so small. These are seedless green grapes. Is this a function of the type of grape or can I do anything to help it produce larger grapes?
I add a little packaged steer manure in the fall and water it in. I have added compost in certain years, sometimes in the spring and sometimes in the fall. When I say small I mean an eighth to a quarter of an inch or so. I would be most grateful for any help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Each grape is small

Have you tried thinning the fruit? Reducing the number and size of bunches while the fruit is small should result in plumper grapes.

o
RE: Each grape is small

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:14

That sounds like Thompson seedless but could be a similar green grape. Commercially they treat with gibberellic acid during bloom to thin the berries and later to plump up the remainder. They also girdle the vine. Not everyone's cup of tea.

I pinch off the long tips on clusters but that may not make the remaining berries much bigger.

There are now seedless table grapes that naturally have bigger berries. The green grape that matures in August like Thompson with bigger berries is Princess. My favorite, Summer Royal, matures a little earlier and has even bigger berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here