Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo1991_gw

Triple Crown b-berry pic - 4 plants from the untamed side!!!

jo1991
11 years ago

Here is picture of my nightmares.....

This is a photo of 4 triple crown berries....now let me remind you - one month ago my u-pick season began - all plants were tied, pruned, very orderly....one month later, plus a wind storm, plus irrigation and one inch of rain this is what I see as I look down my rows....these are plants that have not had this years spent plants removed -they still are producing a little bit. They are also needing topped again, as well as some of the laterals trimmed to around the 30" mark. I really wanted to go ahead and trim the laterals since I am out there anyway to the 24" recommended length for laterals - but I was sure there was a reason you are to do it during the winter...so I asked one of the universities as to the "why" cant I do it now...here was the answer.

When you have damage to your plants over the winter, the damage occurs from the end going inwards toward the cane...so if I lopped them all off now to the length that I wanted in the spring, if I had any damage at all to my laterals - I would have possibly cosiderable berry loss, as I have trimmed all of my "excess" already off.....so, I was told I could keep them "managable" at the 30-32" length for now.......

jo1991

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists