Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Ringspot Virus

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 11:51

I have a potted rabbiteye blueberry (Premier) that I bought from Simmons last spring that would appear to have Red Ringspot Virus. I didn't notice any obvious symptoms last year, but, unlike the other two rabbiteyes that I bought from them, it put out very little new growth. I repotted it this spring and did notice that the root system had filled in quite well. The same pattern of little to no growth has continued this year, and the leaves began to exhibit pronounced red spotting several weeks ago. Here are photos of the fronts and backs of two affected leaves:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The stems are very woody, so it's hard to tell whether or not they have spotting, as well. My reading suggests that rabbiteyes are generally resistant to RRV and that highbush cultivars are more susceptible, so perhaps my I'm mistaken and this is something else? It certainly looks like RRV, though. If it is, I need to decide whether to keep the plant or discard it. There's no shortage of sap sucking insects here, so odds are that, if it was going to be transmitted to my other blueberries, it's already happened. Does anyone have experience with RRV?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Ringspot Virus

It looks like a match to me. I'd wait for a couple other folks to chime in and then get rid of it. I have never had a virus take over a full planting of anything, quick removal of the affected plants always got me out of trouble.

Scott

o

Ive never read or heard about a rabbiteye getting RRV. I have read about and currently experiencing a rabbiteye not establishing the first year and struggling from then on out. I have a Alapaha that was planted in a raised bed last spring. It struggled from the get go. After pulling and amending the bed its still struggling. I have read that if a rabbiteye does not establish the first year then its going to struggle from then on out. Im seeing this first hand.

o

Thanks for your input, guys. I found one study that detected red ringspot in rabbiteye cultivars (linked below), but, like you mentioned blueboy, most everything else that I've read suggests that they're resistant or immune. For now, I think I'll isolate this particular plant and see how it progresses. It's been in close proximity to a variety of highbush cultivars over the last year, though, and, given their susceptibility, I'm a little concerned about them. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Molecular Detection and Discrimination of Blueberry Red Ringspot Virus...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here