Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shazaam01

Red Ringspot Virus

Ernie
10 years ago

I have a potted rabbiteye blueberry (Premier) that I bought from Simmons last spring that would appear to have Red Ringspot Virus. I didn't notice any obvious symptoms last year, but, unlike the other two rabbiteyes that I bought from them, it put out very little new growth. I repotted it this spring and did notice that the root system had filled in quite well. The same pattern of little to no growth has continued this year, and the leaves began to exhibit pronounced red spotting several weeks ago. Here are photos of the fronts and backs of two affected leaves:

{{gwi:119952}}

{{gwi:119953}}

The stems are very woody, so it's hard to tell whether or not they have spotting, as well. My reading suggests that rabbiteyes are generally resistant to RRV and that highbush cultivars are more susceptible, so perhaps my I'm mistaken and this is something else? It certainly looks like RRV, though. If it is, I need to decide whether to keep the plant or discard it. There's no shortage of sap sucking insects here, so odds are that, if it was going to be transmitted to my other blueberries, it's already happened. Does anyone have experience with RRV?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm