Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdave8666

orange raspberry

tdave8666
15 years ago

Ok,

I bought some Heritage raspberries from Henry Fields. They sent me the wrong thing. Habit seems to be that of black raspberries. Biennial, I've gotten some fruit this year, on last year's wood but the photos I've seen of black raspberries seem to show them growing in clusters. Mine aren't really clustered and the fruit is all quite small, orange, and very tart. I actually quite like them, but I haven't found anything to tell me what kind they really are. I'm fairly sure that the fruit is ripe, it's picking quite easily and have even lost some that fell off. Oh, and they spread like bloody weeds.

Anyone know what to call these things?

d

Comments (19)

• daryian
    15 years ago

They are called Fall gold raspberries, or commonly preferred Yellow raspberrie. The berries are like you said. They are somewhat sweet and tart. Preferred over other species of raspberries

• tdave8666
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, I'll poke around and see what I can find.

d

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

I actually prefer my "Kiwi Gold" raspberries flavor over my other red varieties, including my Heritages. As for the tartness, for me, they seem sweeter, less tart and also produce more. Now that you know what they are, you might make sure you're picking them at the best time. For me, it's only a one day window... Too soon, and they're too tart, too late, and they don't taste good either. It's just slightly as they turn a peach color that they are ripe. (A few are ripe in the pic below) Others have complained that these raspberries are too vigorous, but I like the fact that they are excited about life! (But, you may want to think about containment) They will produce fruit on last years canes (the early crop), but they'll also produce again in early fall on the new canes. Like all fall-bearing raspberries, you're other option is to mow them down in the fall, and then get only, but a larger, later crop. If you don't have any other yellow raspberries, I consider this a fortunate shipping mistake. You might want to ask the nursery exactly what variety they could be Fall Gold, Kiwi Gold, Anne, etc. ÂGlenn

Here is them growing last year on my worthless old trellis:
    {{gwi:119967}}

The new trellis this year:
    {{gwi:119968}}

• tdave8666
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's not what I have. These produced nothing last year, and only fruited on new growth from year old canes. I'm pretty sure that I can't get a picture posted on here, but what I've got does not look like yours. I've got a couple red ones that are growing much like yours are, but they should be Heritage. That's a whole different issue. I've got suckers coming up from my reds that are twice as tall now as the others around them.

Anyway, back to the mystery berries. They grow about 5 feet before beginning to send out lateral canes. Those laterals get pretty impressive. Had some last year that were running 6-8 feet. The berries are coming from a cane I kept that grew last year, and they're not clustered like the ones in your picture. Here's the other weird thing. I don't know that I ever saw a flower open on these and the fruit is hidden until it's almost fully grown (which ain't big) by four or five 'petals'. They're long skinny petals that come to a point covering the fruit. It rather looks like a wizard's hat that opens up finally and exposes the berry. Also, the center of that, after the berry is picked, is the same bright orange that the berry was, now looking like a brown petaled flower with a bright orange center. If either of you guys would like, I could certainly email a photo to you, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna manage to get one posted here.

da
    ve

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hmmm... The fruiting on the 2nd year canes sounds like black raspberries and so does the longer laterals. When you pick them, if you have a conical shaped hole in the top of the berry, and a conical shaped stem left on the plant, then I'm pretty sure it's a raspberry. (If no conical stem, then it sounds like a blackberry) Are there thorns? The only thing that doesn't make sense is the orange. Both my black raspberries and my blackberries both first turn red, and then they go to black. Could you be just picking your black berries too soon, before they've gone to black? That would explain the tartness. Looking forward to seeing a pic (either here, or via email), but then again, your approaching the limits of my knowledge. -Glenn

• tdave8666
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah HA! I found it!!!!! Stumbled across some German website with a picture on it. Now, before you get all excited it's not THAT kind of German website. Here's a link to another page that has more info on it.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=319

Japanese Wineberry??? Hrm. The fruit is really good. Tart the way I like. Not supposed to be hardy to my zone but they're doing great so far. We'll see. I'm going to prune the laterals more this year and see if that might give me even more laterals from which to get fruit next year. IF I can get enough fruits (small as they be) from each plant, it might be worth it. Thanks for your input anyway guys and wish me luck.

da
    ve

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Dave-
    I'd be careful with a Wineberry. In many places they're considered invasive and may even be illegal to plant. I'd thought about plantting some here until I read that. At the very least, you may want to consider containment. Good luck! -Glenn

• tdave8666
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They're fairly well contained on top of a retaining wall. My yard is terraced so I've got 'raised beds' happening already. I'm not too worried about them escaping, unless they manage to seed and get carried by a bird. Even then, I am in zone 4 and seems they're only rated to 5, so I'm not too worried about them getting loose. Unless I can figure a way to get a good enough crop out of them, I'm probably going to rip them out of the ground anyway.

Thanks for all the help,
    da
    ve

• cherylco
    15 years ago

Hoping that Glen Russell is still active at this web site, as I'd love to follow up with him on the raspberry trellis he showed here. This looks great! How's it working?

I ordered Meekers from Raintree a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, they still haven't shipped, so I still might have time to get a raised bed built, and a trellis design at least THOUGHT about.

It looks like Glen might have used plumbing pipe??? What about wire recommendations. I'm thinking that I'd have 1 or 2 8'long beds either 2 or 3' wide. It would be best to have it run east-west so the most canes get southern exposure, yes??

Cheryl

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Cherylco-
    Ha! Funny you should mention my trellis... My wire just arrived, and I was just going to order more plumbing part for another 3 trellises. (The trellis you see in the background of that picture is my earlier attempt at a wooden one)

Keep in mind, some people consider this overkill. I havenÂt added it up, but it might be $80 or so per trellis set once you include the parts, wire, paint, concrete, and hardware.
    But, I like the fact that theyÂre very sturdy, removable, tensionable, and have a minimalist appearance. My previous wooden trellises had sagged inwards, rotted, or broke. I could probably use solid 4x4Âs, but those wouldnÂt have been as minimalist, and probably wouldnÂt be as easily removable.

All the plumbing here is ¾ Inch galvanized. YouÂll probably need to specially order the "Crosses".

The trellises are actually removable as well. There is a union just below the dirtline. This allows me to remove the trellis in winter, and then the plow dumps all its snow on it. Once the spring comes, I just screw them back in.

Here is the green vinyl coated wire that I use:
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(qy3cgf55zw5p4o55z2phya55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=5365952

I would think East to West would be good, but IÂm not positive. Perhaps others will chime in.

You can also see more info on the related blackberry trellis here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg1113332017326.html

More info, and pics of the related blackberry trellis here:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg071604363502.html

HereÂs another pic:
    http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/44736/2764550990015790651S600x600Q85.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!
    -Glenn

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Oh, and as for how it's working... it's working well enough that I'll be changing all of my 10 or so raspberry beds to these... though not all this year, as it would just be too much $$$. -Glenn

• cherylco
    15 years ago

Hi

I'm hoping that Glenn Russell, or somebody who built something similar to his second berry trellis on the attached, is still active here. How is the trellis working??? Is that steel pipe???

I ordered Meeker raspberries from Raintree a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, they still haven't arrived, so I should still have time to get a raised bed built (I was thinking 8' by either 2' or 3'= who knows, maybe TWO beds!!) and at least start thinking about the trellises.

Cheryl

• cherylco
    15 years ago

I'm looking at the second pic of a trellis that glenn russell provided. I'm not sure whether he's still active here, but, has anyone built anything similar. How has this worked for you? Is it made of metal?

My Meeker raspberries have been ordered from Raintree, but apparently not shipped yet, so I still might be able to get a trellis up! I was thinking one or two raised beds - 8' X either 2 or 3'.

Thanks!

Thanks!

• cherylco
    15 years ago

Oops! So sorry for the multiple posts! I kept changing the message name and couldn't FIND my post.

How did you create the tees on top - welding? Wouldn't it be possible to create something similar with various plumbing parts that screw together?

Finally, did you need to set the posts in concrete? If not, how far did you sink them? (No snowplows here, so I could leave them in the ground for the winter.)

Cheryl

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Cherylco-
    Hmmm.... Actually, it's the lower level T which is difficult to make because you need to specially order the "Cross" piece. Other than that, it's just off the shelf plumbing pieces. No welding required. Just screw it together.

Oops, I lied. It wasn't galvanized pipe. Just regular black iron pipe. When I went to order the stuff for my new ones today, I realized how much more expensive the galvanized pipe is.

As for the concrete... I'm not positive that you even need it. My blackberry trellis doesn't even have any probability went down 2.5-3 feet. But, then again, due to its crossbar, there really aren't any forces pulling it inwards. The raspberry trellis, with no crossbar and no concrete might get pulled in eventually. Basically, I just sick of designs that failed, and went with an over-engineered solution. At the local hardware store, I found a "Bulb auger" that I mounted to my drill. I probably went down 30 inches or so, and made a hole that was probably 5" in diameter.

Another reason to make them removable... if you ever plan to move, if they're in concrete, either you might want to take them with you, or the new owners might want them out. Either way, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to dig 'em up!

If you do decide to make one, post some pics when youÂre done!

Good luck,
    -Glenn

• kame
    15 years ago

Glen-

How did you tie the wires on the other side of the trelis? Just twist? Also, have you tried Navaho blackberries? If so, how do they compare to Triple Crown?

Karla

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Karla-
    On the other side of the raspberry trellis, there are 8 threaded hooks that go through the pipes (4 hooks in each tier) with a nut in back. The hooks are longer, so, with the nut on the back, the wire tension can be adjusted. On my blackberry trellis, because there are crossbars to prevent the ends from moving inward, I donÂt need to tension them. There is a link to a pic of that above.

I've actually never tried Navaho, nor even Triple Crown for that matter. (But, my first 2 Triple Crowns should be coming in another month or so) But, after following all the threads here on black berries, it seems like the prevailing wisdom is Triple Crown is probably the best tasting blackberry. And that for pure productivity, nothing comes close to Doyle. But, of course, there are always variables that can affect these things.

If I had room, I wouldn't mind trying Navaho, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure you could be quite happy with it. Heck, everyone diss'es my Chester's, but I love them. But, perhaps it's because I have nothing to compare them with. Yet.

Good luck,
    -Glenn

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

Hello. I read a lot of forums on GW and this year have purchased some raspberry plants. They are Anne from Johnny's seeds and I was wondering will they look like the plants above? They are a yellow berry and are supposed to be very sweet.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Thank you! Erin

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Spencersmom-
    The ones in the picture are Kiwi Gold, which I love. I'm planting some Anne this year too. The Anne's berries will look pretty much like the Kiwi GoldÂs. Do a Google "Image Search" on "Anne Raspberry", and you will see them.
    I would expect your plants to look pretty much like that probably in your 2nd season or so. They might not be quite that vigorous in their first year of establishment. -Glenn

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms