Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben773

Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) cultivar ripening sequence

ben773
9 years ago

I would like to hear about the ripening order of various Pawpaw cultivars from different regions of the country. This will hopefully help us select the best pawpaw cultivars for growers of northern regions with short growing season. It can also help extrapolate ripening order of pawpaw cultivars for anyone in the country.
For me in northern Illinois (north of Chicago, south of the Illinois-Wisconsin border, about 1 mile east of Lake Michigan), ripening order of my pawpaw varieties is as follows (based on 2013):
My first Shenandoah ripened in mid-October and the last one ripened around late October.
My first Sunflower ripened around late October and the last one ripened around middle November (after a frost).
Overleese was between the two.
So, for me, based on the 3 cultivars that fruited last year, the ripening order is Shenandoah (early), Overleese (mid) and Sunflower (late).
My other varieties, KSU-Atwood, Mango, NC-1, Susquehanna and Wabash are not fruit bearing size yet. I�ll provide a report later when they come into production.
Based on reports elsewhere in the forum, cultivar like Summer Delight seems to be a good one to plant here in northern Illinois.
Please report your experience here. Do state where you are, like SE Missouri etc if you do not want to divulge your hometown.
Ben in Beach Park, IL

Comments (7)