Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spartan_apple

New Tart Cherry

spartan-apple
10 years ago

Many years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to
Bill Eubank who resides near River Falls WI. Bill
had an old cherry tree that was dying out but then suckered up profusely.

The suckers were just loaded with fruit! I have seen 3'
trees of this variety just bent over with a high yield.

A friend of mine took to propagating it and growing it commercially in his orchard. Although he grows about
5 different types of tart cherries for his u-pick operation,
this Eubank cherry is his favorite as out yields all others.

This variety was released to Bailey Nursery in MInnesota
and has now been brought out as Sweet Cherry Pie (TM)
cherry (P. cerasus 'Eubank'). Now available to the public.

Hardy thru zone 4 and perhaps zone 3. I do not want to
advertise but just an FYI on a NEW super hardy, extremely high yielding cherry. Really bears at a young age.

Bailey sells only to garden centers but this variety is now
available in the upper mid-west. Just my take on what I
think is a fantastic cherry since I have tasted it and
seen it personally.

I presume Bailey is budding it on some sort of rootstock
but not sure if own root or not at this time.

Comments (9)

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

The tree almost sounds too good to be true. My Montmorency I believe is too shaded for excellent production. The seven year old tree had 25 delicious cherries this year! Tell me when I can buy the tree! Thanks

• spartan-apple
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsG47:

Sweet Cherry Pie (TM) is available now. I have some
    coming in shortly that are in #5 containers.

Will they be available bare-root? I am not sure. Bailey
    Nursery sells container and bare-root stock to garden
    centers. Hopefully you have a local garden center that
    gets container plants from Bailey Nursery. They do supply plants to East Coast garden centers/nurseries.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Thanks Spartan, I just emailed your info to a local nursery/garden center. I'll see what they say.

• spartan-apple
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrs G:

My 5 sweet cherry pie cherries arrived in yesterday. I find that they are budded. Not sure what rootstock Bailey Nursery is putting them on. I hope they still bear
    as heavily at a young age as those on their own roots did
    that I was accustomed to so many years ago when I had the privilage of knowing Mr. Eubank.

I guess time will tell. Not much info out to the public yet
    on this variety since it is so new. Keep me posted on your success in getting them!

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I really doubt my success will be a success on getting them. I would love to try a 'bareroot' and get it in the ground asap. BUT. . . I googled the cherry and could find zero info about the cherry. I love sour cherries; my Montmorency (my only sour cherry) barely produces after seven years (it has a bit too much shade). I need to know the rootstock. Thanks!

• spartan-apple
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrs G:

I have the new 2014 catalog for Bailey Nursery. On page
    189 they have a nice listing on Sweet Cherry Pie (TM)
    cherry. Their listing shows it will be available in #5 container or bare-root.

Their #5 containers are ready NOW and I presume bare-root for next spring. Assuming your local garden center
    gets plants from Bailey Nursery, they should be able to
    order it in for you. The only issue on the bare-root
    might be that they are sold in quantities of 10.

• skyjs
    10 years ago

I would love to get my hands on that pie cherry. I'll probably have to wait a few years until they sell to a nursery that sends out by mail.

Some of the super hardy bush cherries that do well in Saskatchewan get too many diseases here, so I would love to see how it would do here.

I had a seedling of Montmorency that produced pie cherries for the first time this year. They taste just like Montmorency but fruit about two weeks later. I'll keep people posted on how it is.
    Thanks
    John S
    PDX OR

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I bought my Montmorency from the same nursery (that I sent the info to). They still haven't responded. I do know that the fruit trees they buy are fairly boring, but tested varieties. There are never more than six or seven of any type of fruit tree, if that at the nursery. I live near huge farm 'growers' heaven (or close to Middletown, RI) They specialize in trees and shrubs (wholesale, but not fruit). Guess I'll have to wait for Raintree to pick it up. Cherries seem to grow quickly. Is it on semi-dwarf stock? thanks again! Mrs G

• ohchiz
    7 years ago

I'm looking to replace my carmine jewel and saw this at a local nursery, anyone have any experience with it yet? its from baileys