Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry cane problems

Posted by anitaw 7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:03

I have everbearing raspberries that I cut to the ground last winter. This year I have a huge bear spot with no canes at all. About 1/2 of my canes are 2-3 feet tall, but many are only about 12 inches high and already making fruit. I just checked the ph in 9 different areas of my patch. It seems that the taller canes have a ph between 6.5 and 7.0. The bear spots are at 6.0. I use 10-10-10 fertilizer on them in the spring. They are not mulched. I keep reading about canes growing to 6 feet tall. Why are my canes so short and why am I missing canes from the bare spots? Help. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry cane problems

• Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:18

Is this an old bush? I don't know much about chemical use, except it seems many people come here for help who have harmed their plants with too much or wrong timing.

my raspberries are Heritage. I put a little compost on top of the ground every year or two and that is it. I have never checked the PH or done a soil test and my bush is a berry making machine. I have to dig out canes each spring to keep it in check.

o
RE: Raspberry cane problems

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 13:03

We have Heritage everbearing red raspberries, and our canes are up to 4-6 feet now. They are just beginning to bear ripe fruit, flowering began a few weeks ago. The patch is in heavy clay soil, that gets morning sun, and afternoon shade. I mulch the patch with shredded tree leaves in the fall, to a depth of about 6 inches. I rarely apply fertilizer, and only apply water during a drought. Raspberries grow wild on the Korean peninsula, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. They seem to thrive in our local soil and climate. Beyond that, I don't know why they grow well in our yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here