Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simple question and I hope there is a simple answer

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 7B St Clair Co (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:04

When does the blackberry cane borer go into the cane and cause the large swollen knots? Does the knot appear immediately after the bores goes into the cane or is there a delayed reaction? I live East of Birmingham (7b). My Natches was almost a total loss this year but somehow the Triple Crown still managed a decent crop even with borer damage. All responses are welcome even the less than favorable ones. Thanks, Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simple question and I hope there is a simple answer

According the linked article, late July or August in Northern Indiana. I would move that back about 2 weeks for your climate to early-to-mid July. I didn't notice them in my berry patch until I was removing canes in late winter this year. Cane borers impacted my trailing blackberries the worst and some damage to triple crown. The TC damage was more difficult to notice due less pronounced swelling from the galls since the canes were thicker. I finally noticed the TC damage early summer when the canes, with green fruit, simply wilted and died. I removed and disposed of the infected canes and treated the trailing blackberries with a systemic pesticide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red-necked Cane Borer in Blackberries

o
RE: Simple question and I hope there is a simple answer

JT. Thanks for your post. Last year I didn't notice any borer damage and as a result I picked a few gallons of blackberries. I had high hopes of maximum production this year but thanks to all the cane damage I lost about 80% of the crop. As of right now I have not seen any new damage. I am trying to grow organically so I have attempted to avoid sprays when possible. Does anyone know if the borers can be controlled with a systemic spray after the berries have been picked? If a systemic spray is used how long does it stay in the plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here