Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captaininsano

Ouachita Blackberry dropping/budding new leaves.

I am wondering about growth cycles in blackberries, is it common for them to have die back on leaves and bud out again mid year. They already produced this year, and I cut out spent canes, and all that is left is this years new canes which are about 5ft, tall and tipped so branched out a bit. Now the leaves on the new canes are dying back and budding out new leaves, I do not remember this from summer last year is it common, could it be a dormancy caused by excessive heat I am in Peoria AZ. it has been over 100 since April/May, or is it possible that the plant has gone through a full cycle, it did go through the same sort of dormancy break in January very mild Winter here this year. What is the deciding factor on cycles is it actual seasonal changes or could it just be time from budding. I know they will not produce without chilling which is not possible for new canes. It seemed to be on a normal track last years canes flowered in April. It is entirely possible that this is normal and I am asking to many questions, still new to fruits and berries.

Comments (3)